THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

gotwood

is one Smokin' Farker
Wondering what others think would be an adequate size for the Slab....
Im thinking 96" x 72" minimum.....72" being the depth.........

still unsure if ill be buying a refractory commercial made oven or do it all out of brick....

anyone build anything like this and have a link? not sure how im going to
heat the two areas...using same fire or different ones......
I tend to think different....a firebox below the pizza oven to be offset of the smoker for indirect....

do a search for Pompeii ovens it will give you a good idea for slab and construction of an oven. Most of the ovens I've looked at fire inside for baking then sweep out coals before loading bread . If pizza some keep a bank of coals to the side

I would highly recommend the book "The Bread Builders". Google it. It is a fantastic book about making your own hearth oven. Very detailed and informative.

Thanks all,

I live in Chicago area....think pouring a slab about 10-12" thick with fiber mesh and 1/2" rebar that will sit atop (6) 10" pillars or reinforced concrete will not heave and will not crack??

i believe that would be overkill, but plenty safe. make sure to use a cruched rock base before you pour. may also want to use a vapor barrior ( plastic sheating), to keep moisture from traveling from the ground up.

Back