THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eric,

I'll throw in to help in any way possible for the Wounded Warriors.
My trailer will be there for the Paul Kirk's class... and available for the cause :thumb:.

Hey there Brethren!

We're officially at 24 teams for Go Naked - WooHoo!

And I've decided to go to 30 - we have the room and the more the merrier. Besides, we overshot the mark (got 6 apps in that were postmarked on the same day last week) so I have 27 apps in hand and am waiting for a couple more from folks who have said they are coming.....you know who you are! So if you said you were going to send in your app and haven't yet - SEND IT IN!

I'll post the 24 on Wednesday when I get back in the office.

On another note, I've been approached by the Wounded Warriors about working with them and hosting some Warriors as a part of the competition. Not sure how to work this, but I really want to do something with/for them so I am willing and happy to take suggestions. I know there have been some KCBS comps that have hosted warriors, but I'm not sure how that worked...if anyone out there was a part of that, I'd love to get your feedback.

Also, to the registered teams in Go Naked, would you be willing to host a Wounded Warrior in your cooksite? I had concerns about wheelchairs as Go Naked is more on gravel than on a hard surface, but was told that the guys who would be coming (10-12) would not be in wheelchairs. Again, not sure how they would assist - be tasters, timers, ? - but I would love to have them be a part of our event.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks.

That is a great idea. I'll be solo, so it wouldn't hurt to have a second opinion on the taste of my product, especially since no one up in those parts has any love for my chicken! Give me a shout offline as this develops and will see what I can do.

Go Naked BBQ Team List - 2012

Hi Brethren.

Well.....WE'RE FULL AND THEN SOME! After receiving 6 apps with the same postmark date putting us over the 24 mark, I decided to go ahead and see if we could get to 30 teams - and we did. I even have (2) teams on the waiting list...... It seems like a lot of folks enjoy going Naked! Although if any of you do, there will be pictures...and internet posts...and other embarrasing, unsavory things that will occur.

OK, so here's the official list.....

4:20 Q..................................JAY REEDER..................CLEAR SPRING, MD
POTBELLY BBQ.......................DAVE NASH...................TANEYTOWN, MD
PORTER MAC'S ROCKIN'BBQ.......TIM MCMASTER.............YORK, PA
CRAZY DOG BBQ.....................TONY GRAY...................LANDISBURG, PA
ZOMBIE BARBECUE..................CHRISTOPHER MUMAW.....BETHLEHEM, PA
PEPPER MONKEY BBQ...............JOEL MATTESON............SHADY SIDE, MD
DEGUELLO BBQ........................KIT RUDD.....................SPRINGFIELD, VA
ALLEGHENY MOUNTAIN BBQ.......SCOTT FELIX................ALUM BANK, PA
APPLEWAY BBQ.......................JEFF STOOPS...............SAINT THOMAS, PA
PHILLY BLIND PIG BBQ..............THOMAS BERA..............PHILADELPHIA, PA
BONE TO BARK BBQ.................TODD SPICKLER.............HAGERSTOWN, MD
CPL DEE BBQ..........................KENNETH W DEE............EXTON, PA
BIG MOOKS BBQ......................BRIAN VARANI...............FALLS CHURCH, VA
GOONEY CREEK BBQ................BRUCE HENSON..............BROWNTOWN, VA
LYIN PIGS.............................MARK McDOWELL............ACCOKEEK, MD
DIRTY POP'S BBQ...................ROBERT KRAFT................FAIRFIELD, PA
DRILLING AND GRILLING...........DAN THOMAS.................GLEN ROCK, PA
270 SMOKERS........................TERRY WEST..................LEXINGTON, VA
VIRGINIA 'Q LADY...................STEPHANIE WEST............LEXINGTON, VA
SMOKIN TURTLE BBQ...............MIKE COFFROAD.............LANCASTER, PA
IHRER'S FIRES........................KEN IHRER.....................HARLEYSVILLE, PA
STEEL CITY SMOKERS.............TERRY MURPHY...............GREENCASTLE, PA
TIPSY PIGS...........................JIM SMITH.....................HEDGESVILLE, WV
C'N DIS BBQ..........................S DIS MCCARTHY............BOWIE, MD
BLACK DAWG BBQ...................VINCENT J TOMAN...........PITTSBURGH, PA
HOLLYWOOD N SWINE.............BILL ALLEN.....................MILLVILLE, NJ
UNCLE BUCK'S BBQ.................MIKE MACALUSO.............MANCHESTER, MD
CLAY HILL COOKERS...............JONATHON OTT..............GREENCASTLE, PA
HIGH ON THE HOG BBQ............ROBERT ANGOLIA.............FREDERICK, MD
5-0 BBQ...............................STEVE RODGERS..............HAMPSTEAD, MD

That's everyone...let the betting, backstabbing, mental sparring, and overall mayhem begin!

If you are not on the list, but have sent in your app, I haven't received it yet! I'll be sending them back to you when I get them. Thanks.

Hi Brethren.

Well.....WE'RE FULL AND THEN SOME! After receiving 6 apps with the same postmark date putting us over the 24 mark, I decided to go ahead and see if we could get to 30 teams - and we did. I even have (2) teams on the waiting list...... It seems like a lot of folks enjoy going Naked! Although if any of you do, there will be pictures...and internet posts...and other embarrasing, unsavory things that will occur.

OK, so here's the official list.....

4:20 Q..................................JAY REEDER..................CLEAR SPRING, MD
POTBELLY BBQ.......................DAVE NASH...................TANEYTOWN, MD
PORTER MAC'S ROCKIN'BBQ.......TIM MCMASTER.............YORK, PA
CRAZY DOG BBQ.....................TONY GRAY...................LANDISBURG, PA
ZOMBIE BARBECUE..................CHRISTOPHER MUMAW.....BETHLEHEM, PA
PEPPER MONKEY BBQ...............JOEL MATTESON............SHADY SIDE, MD
DEGUELLO BBQ........................KIT RUDD.....................SPRINGFIELD, VA
ALLEGHENY MOUNTAIN BBQ.......SCOTT FELIX................ALUM BANK, PA
APPLEWAY BBQ.......................JEFF STOOPS...............SAINT THOMAS, PA
PHILLY BLIND PIG BBQ..............THOMAS BERA..............PHILADELPHIA, PA
BONE TO BARK BBQ.................TODD SPICKLER.............HAGERSTOWN, MD
CPL DEE BBQ..........................KENNETH W DEE............EXTON, PA
BIG MOOKS BBQ......................BRIAN VARANI...............FALLS CHURCH, VA
GOONEY CREEK BBQ................BRUCE HENSON..............BROWNTOWN, VA
LYIN PIGS.............................MARK McDOWELL............ACCOKEEK, MD
DIRTY POP'S BBQ...................ROBERT KRAFT................FAIRFIELD, PA
DRILLING AND GRILLING...........DAN THOMAS.................GLEN ROCK, PA
270 SMOKERS........................TERRY WEST..................LEXINGTON, VA
VIRGINIA 'Q LADY...................STEPHANIE WEST............LEXINGTON, VA
SMOKIN TURTLE BBQ...............MIKE COFFROAD.............LANCASTER, PA
IHRER'S FIRES........................KEN IHRER.....................HARLEYSVILLE, PA
STEEL CITY SMOKERS.............TERRY MURPHY...............GREENCASTLE, PA
TIPSY PIGS...........................JIM SMITH.....................HEDGESVILLE, WV
C'N DIS BBQ..........................S DIS MCCARTHY............BOWIE, MD
BLACK DAWG BBQ...................VINCENT J TOMAN...........PITTSBURGH, PA
HOLLYWOOD N SWINE.............BILL ALLEN.....................MILLVILLE, NJ
UNCLE BUCK'S BBQ.................MIKE MACALUSO.............MANCHESTER, MD
CLAY HILL COOKERS...............JONATHON OTT..............GREENCASTLE, PA
HIGH ON THE HOG BBQ............ROBERT ANGOLIA.............FREDERICK, MD
5-0 BBQ...............................STEVE RODGERS..............HAMPSTEAD, MD

That's everyone...let the betting, backstabbing, mental sparring, and overall mayhem begin!

If you are not on the list, but have sent in your app, I haven't received it yet! I'll be sending them back to you when I get them. Thanks.

WHAT?!?!? No Philly Underhogs to swoop in and demoralize/decimate/dominate the field just like they did in 2011? Eric, you better put out an APB for that pig because it's going home with someone else this year. As for who the pig goes home with, well that's up in the air.......

I am so happy to see Dave Nash is joining us. Dave, I am glad you're on the mend and I wish you the best this year.

WHAT?!?!? No Philly Underhogs to swoop in and demoralize/decimate/dominate the field just like they did in 2011? Eric, you better put out an APB for that pig because it's going home with someone else this year. As for who the pig goes home with, well that's up in the air.......

I am so happy to see Dave Nash is joining us. Dave, I am glad you're on the mend and I wish you the best this year.

I know, the Underhogs told me they were in, but I never got an app from them. I was bummed too. I figured this year if they won, they'd bring a vehicle big enough to take home a new cooker purchased with the winnings. They wanted to do it last year, but barely had room for the pig!

Maybe whoever wins this year could do that...hint, hint, wink, wink. What a great idea!

Lots of great teams this year....about 50/50 teams from last year and new teams! This is gonna be fun!

PA Chicken

It's not just you Kit ... But it's not all of PA ... It's only events that Eric hosts!! I don't even know why I bother trimming our chicken for Go Naked or Smoketoberfest!!! He's got to have some pull with those judges .... Regardless, I'll keep trimming, keep turning it in ... and maybe this year will be different.

Cooker

I know, the Underhogs told me they were in, but I never got an app from them. I was bummed too. I figured this year if they won, they'd bring a vehicle big enough to take home a new cooker purchased with the winnings. They wanted to do it last year, but barely had room for the pig!

Maybe whoever wins this year could do that...hint, hint, wink, wink. What a great idea!

Lots of great teams this year....about 50/50 teams from last year and new teams! This is gonna be fun!

- Eric -

With all these teams ... and your guarantee of nice weather ... Couldn't you profit from a Backwoods raffle ???????

We're pretty much a completely new team, so maybe I'm out of line for wanting to see the MABA rules before the competition starts. I feel like its a normal thing to get, but people have been asking since the 14th of January and they still haven't been posted. If I'm just being :Cry:, tell me to STFU and we'll suck it up and hope there are no unexpected quirks.

For KCBS comps it seems like they are linked everywhere - the comp website usually has it, the KCBS website has it, the pre-contest welcome email has it, etc. No amount of googling or browsing has turned up MABA rules though..

We're pretty much a completely new team, so maybe I'm out of line for wanting to see the MABA rules before the competition starts. I feel like its a normal thing to get, but people have been asking since the 14th of January and they still haven't been posted. If I'm just being :Cry:, tell me to STFU and we'll suck it up and hope there are no unexpected quirks.

For KCBS comps it seems like they are linked everywhere - the comp website usually has it, the KCBS website has it, the pre-contest welcome email has it, etc. No amount of googling or browsing has turned up MABA rules though..

if I am correct ( I may not be) I think its no garnich, 6 portions , no marking and no pooling. I think these may be the basic rules. ribs can be either baby backs or spare, chicken is what ever you want to use as long as it fits in the box.

I hope this helps.

Sal

Here you go - MABA 2012 Rules

Go Naked is a little different as they have a number of variances and it's not a 4 meat event. The rep will go over those differences at the cooks meeting.

According to Section 13 of the MABA rules it is BIND Judging......................hmmmmmmmmmmm must be hard judging when ya are tied up!!!!

Back