THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't forget Fredericksburg either. Pulled this from the interwebs "The History of Fredericksburg, Texas dates back to its founding in 1846. It was named after Prince Frederick of Prussia. Fredericksburg is also notable as the home of Texas German, a dialect spoken by the first generations of German settlers who initially refused to learn English. Fredericksburg shares many cultural characteristics with New Braunfels, which had been established by Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels the previous year."

This was one of my favorite towns to day trip to with girlfriends back in College. Its only about an hour and a half out of Austin. Ahh the good ole days..

Don't forget Fredericksburg either. Pulled this from the interwebs "The History of Fredericksburg, Texas dates back to its founding in 1846. It was named after Prince Frederick of Prussia. Fredericksburg is also notable as the home of Texas German, a dialect spoken by the first generations of German settlers who initially refused to learn English. Fredericksburg shares many cultural characteristics with New Braunfels, which had been established by Prince Carl of Solms-Braunfels the previous year."

This was one of my favorite towns to day trip to with girlfriends back in College. Its only about an hour and a half out of Austin. Ahh the good ole days..
We try to make it down there at least once a year....great place to get away!

I have to call BS on part of that article, the part about German butchers coming up with the idea of barbecued brisket in the 1950's, since I distinctly recall eating a lot of barbecue (mostly brisket) in Texas as a child in the 1940's. Some of the barbecue joints I ate in dated back to the 1920's, and they weren't all German-owned. Some of the very best was done by families with Louisiana backgrounds, and black-owned BBQ joints were highly regarded.

As far as Gen. Sam seeking out German immigrants, I don't know. My paternal grandfather's family moved to Texas well before the Civil War, and their ancestors had originally reached the USA as part of the Palatine Migration, almost certainly thanks to Wm. Penn.

I can't find it now, but I also read somewhere that the mustard based sauces used in the Carolina's were also influenced by the German Immigrants of that area. I had the page bookmarked on my old computer, but did not carry over in the switch.

I think this is why The Salt Lick bbq sauce is not only so good, but so famous. German influenced mustard base with a slight asian touch. I miss that sauce :cry:

There's a lot of German heritage down in the hill country. They sure know how to make some good sausage. I'm headed down to New Braunfels in October to see Robert Earl Keen down at Gruene Hall. I look forward to some Hill Country BBQ!

Pork tenderloin sandwiches, popular in the Midwest, and chicken fried steak, popular across the South, were influenced by the German schnitzel.

It's all good, New Braunfels, Greune Hall, try the local Coopers in NB. Just got back from a nice trip to Texas, Houston to Lubbock, back to Houston then a few days in Austin. Got a chance to visit Lockhart and ate at Kreuz, met Roy Perez and grabbed a couple of ribs at Blacks on the way back to Austin. Really great food and so much tradition!!

For the record, btw, got to visit Shiner a couple years back and tour the Spoetzl brewery, it is Czech I believe, not German, but the German influence is very strong.

Back