Gator Time- Live Cook (not the gator)

Looks and sounds like it was a pretty awesome day of food and family! Thanks for posting the cook - I'd love to give it a try, but I'd be the only one here eating it.

Nice write up and good looking gator. Did it have the moisture you were trying to achieve? Would you do anything different next time? I love gator but never cooked one.

Nice write up and good looking gator. Did it have the moisture you were trying to achieve? Would you do anything different next time? I love gator but never cooked one.

Moisture was fine. I think the key is wrapping at 80-90 IT which I wouldn't have known to do if I hadn't been told to. Might wrap closer to 80 next time. Don't get a lot of color due to the short cook time on a small one. Changes: too much Ice in ice chest didn't let thaw as much as desired in 24 hrs. Had to pry mouth open to lay board in. I forgot to spritz until it was time to wrap. Might add a little fluid to foil (or remember to spritz sooner)or inject next time for additional flavor, although it was fine. Everyone loved it and would eat it again. I would separate tail muscles and white crumbly fat after presentation and before serving (That fat is where the fishy taste is some complain of) Probably forgot something! But it's all fun and a learning experience. Have a great New Year

Thanks for the follow up. If you enjoy Cajun and have not tried Boudin (aka boudan, "boo-dan), you might like it. Like spaghetti sauce, everyone has their own recipe. And, you do not have to stuff it in sausage casing to enjoy it.

Back