THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

KevinJ

somebody shut me the fark up.
Don't compete but know there are a lot more drum users here than on Q-talk. Had a Hunsaker but after getting a MAK PG wasn't using it enough so I sold it, don't need a 55 gallon only want a 30 and I don't want a PBC or WSM 18" so looking at the Gateway 30gal.

Will mostly use it for cooking Butts, Briskets hot and fast along with hanging chicken halves and once in a great while I may hang ribs, wanted to know if there are any problems with hanging ribs and when cooking Butts or a Brisket would you prefer to use a diffuser or cook straight over coals and anything else I may need to know about the 30gal?

Thanks

I may defer you to the PBC appreciation thread because those answers, and more, are probably in those posts. The two are probably about the same size, so everything should be similar.

the thing about it is the 30 gallon smokers are really no more inexpensive than the 55galon ones. Unless you're really restricted on space just get the standard size

I may defer you to the PBC appreciation thread because those answers, and more, are probably in those posts. The two are probably about the same size, so everything should be similar.
Never owned a PBC Ron but I'm familiar with them looking for something with better temp control and also want to cook at higher temps than the PBC's sweet spot. Also owned an WSM 18.5 before getting the Hunsaker cooked on it a lot like you would a PBC.

if you talk to mark from hunsakers i bet he could make you a 30 gallon smoker. if you liked the hunsaker brand
I talked to Mark he said there's no market for a 30 so he won't make one.

the thing about it is the 30 gallon smokers are really no more inexpensive than the 55galon ones. Unless you're really restricted on space just get the standard size
Looking for something that's smaller than a 55, makes it easier to travel with and I don't have a lot of space. You're right though the price difference is marginal but not going smaller to save a buck.

I saw my first PBC in person over the weekend and it looked very solid and had a great looking paint job, my hurdle in pulling the trigger on one is the fact I've cooked on BDS's for 12 years and my two are about 6" taller than a standard 55 gallon drum. I'm not sure if I could adjust to changes in height and diameter.

We have a 30 we use in comps for sausage and other ancillaries we may do. Cooks about the same, in my experience. I've never hung ribs on it, but it would make sense that you may need to either split the racks or trim a couple more bones off, but not sure.

So when cooking on the grate do you prefer to cook directly over coals or use the diffuser, just trying to determine if I want to order the diffuser or not.

Depends on what we're cooking, but generally just over the coals.
I will use it for cooking butts, chuck roasts, beef short ribs and brisket on the grate. Will also use it to hang poultry, pork loins, eye of round and maybe once in awhile ribs, when hanging I'll cook directly over the coals.

Back