THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BriGreentea

Knows what a fatty is.
Bought a 12 1/2 pound brisket yesterday, perfect size for me. I used to try and make burnt ends long ago but it got to the point the effort was not worth it but going to do it again. I have had mixed results and wondering what is the best way to tackle the point.

I have my charcoal, pecan chunks, butcher paper, pan to catch drippings, bbq sauce.

Option A. After 6 hours or so of smoke to about 160, wrap in butcher paper for a couple of hours or until feels perfect. Take out of the board, separate the point from the flat, wrap the flat and rest for 2 hours. Start cubing the point, return to the smoker in the pan with bbq sauce on top. Downside - the point is very hot, may shred some pieces and while your flat has been exposed to air and wrapped, you may be overcooking the burnt ends and comes out too dry and your flat when you go to slice may be dry.

Option B. Same as option A except put the point in a refrigerator for about a half hour, will cube easier. - Downside is with the flat again and while cooling down the ends sounds good may not be as tender due to cooling it down prior.

Option C. Take the wrapped brisket and rest for 2 hours, then separate the point and flat and cube up the point and put the the burnt ends in the cooker. Downside - your flat is getting to room temp while your burnt ends are going to take awhile to make and you are wasting 2 hours of fuel from your cooker before you returned the burnt ends back.

Option D. Separate or just cut the point raw the best your can and cook separately. Downside - doesn't work well, poor end result. (not an option really though some have mastered this.

Any thoughts what I should do? Thanks.

I've never had the point not be perfect when the flat is done where it needs to be. I guess I don't understand the point of returning it to the smoker. It's not truly a "burnt end" unless it's an outside edge of the brisket that spent the whole cook absorbing all that flavor anyway...it's cubed point either way, seems like too much extra work. I just cook it til the flat is done then enjoy. I'm a "heavy trimmer" so I usually have good edible bark on the whole point anyway :becky:

Option E: cook, wrap, cook, rest. Then chop the entire brisket and server chopped brisket sandwiches on white bread with a squirt of bbq sauce, white onion slice, and a pickle chip. :grin:

Option A: You can hold the flat for hours in FTC and it actually benefits from a hold. While the flat is holding, the point burnt ends are cooking. I've found that the point is usually not too far behind the flat in temp when you separate them. Just cube it, sauce / rub, and give it some more time in the cooker until the burnt ends are right. They don't take too long to get there.

You can serve them at the same time.

Back