THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

cajunrph

Knows what a fatty is.
First try for a Tri-Tip (pun intended.) I picked up about a three lb Tri-Tip from HEB. I seasoned it with Montreal Steak Seasoning at about 10am this morning and put it back in the fridge. I pulled it out after 6 hours and dusted it with garlic powder and allowed it to get to room temp. I really intended to do a reverse sear on it but out of force of habit I set my BGE up for indirect cooking. For the sides my girlfriend prepared some bacon wrapped asparagus and bacon wrapped green beans.
IMG_20160117_144625_1.jpg

Sides included sweet and regular taters.
IMG_20160117_145145.jpg

Everything on the grill.

IMG_20160117_145417_1.jpg

I was shooting for a grill temp of 325*. For the most part I had that. I cooked the Tri-Tip till an IT of 125*, pulled everything and set the Egg up for direct grilling. I seared the Tri-Tip for two minutes each side.

Before the sear.

IMG_20160117_153922_1.jpg

After the sear.

IMG_20160117_154548.jpg

The Tri-Tip was done faster than I thought it would be done. After I finished the searing I set the Egg back up for indirect again and put the sides back on. This time I let the temp get up above 400*. I let the Tri-Tip rest while the sides cooked.

Finished sides.

IMG_20160117_161033.jpg

I had some challenges seeing the grain to slice the Tri-Tip correctly. Some I nailed, others were off slightly. Overall it was a good cook.

IMG_20160117_162422.jpg

It looked better in person. Thanks for looking.

Bacon wrapped green beans, nice. I got to try that sometime. Tri-tip looks good.

You nail that TT. I love tri-tips. I have cooked them low and slow with lots of rub. Cooked them at 300-325 with just a light dusting. I've grilled them with just SP&G on santa maria grills. You can season them many ways and cook many ways.

Looks delicious, the perfect compliment of sides too! Tri-tip is quickly becoming my go to roast. I never really had it before I bought my Joe, it's not very popular behind the iron curtain in CT...but it should be! At my local Restaurant Depot, can pick up an 8 pack of tri tip for about $112 or so. Works out to $14 a roast which is a home-run.

That is a pretty good rate MizzoQ. I think when I buy them here from HEB, they are something like $12 - $14 each depending on the weight.

i love those green beans!

taste just like asparagus :clap2:

lol!!

I love tri-tip. So quick and easy. My kids love them too. Unfortunately, they don't last long as I can only find small ones here. I wish I could get my hands on some 3 pounders. The ones I can get are usually only about half that size.

Looks great. Nicely done!

Back