Fuel question for a Komodo style grill.

Mina

Found some matches.
Name or Nickame
Mina
Hi all! I have been looking for sometime now to add another smoker to the family. after some research, I’ve decided to go with the Louisiana Grill sold at Costco, looks pretty sweet and I can’t beat the price for a full ceramic grill in that size. Now, this will be my first ceramic grill, and I’ve done some research on what fuel type to use and I found mixed answers. I read that if you use anything other than 100% natural wood lumps, the chemicals will penetrate the ceramic and ruin the grill/taste of food. I have been using nothing but briquettes for years, and that’s because I can get them for a really good deal and they have been working really well for me. Could I use the Kingsford competition charcoal briquettes or Kingsford original with this ceramic grill since it’s 100% natural? Has anyone here tried this before? I really don’t want to ruin a good grill, so you’re input is appreciate it. Thanks.

Yes. That's a bunch of nonsense. Just don't use matchlight briquettes or lighter fluid. The binders in Kingsford briquettes are not going to do anything to your kamado.

Briquettes leave behind a lot more ash than lump. You want to use lump in that grill. I have the same one. Royal Oak lump is cheap and you’ll be able to reuse what doesn’t burn during a cook.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both posts above are correct. However, you can use briqs in a kamado if you are grilling. For long smokes it is definitely possible that the ash will build up and choke out the fire. I use briqs in a Vortex to do wings and it is fine.

Mina,

I agree with others... I have 2 XL BGE and 1 mini BGE, on the mini I have always used kingsford (blue bag) and lighting it in a charcoal chimney. The reason I do it this was is because I am in a hurry and want to eat quickly.... Briquette on my friend... Just don't use lighter fluid.. but you know that already :-D
Thanks,
Greg

I've used both in my Kamado only if I have some briquettes laying around. They do produce a ton more ash. I do use Lump nearly 100% of the time and never any chemicals. The briquettes causing some kind of an issue sounds like hogwash to me.

Thanks for the reply guys! I had a feeling that was the case but wanted to double check. I’m aware the briquettes will produce more ash than lumps, but that’s not an issue for me. I just wanted to make sure that I can use them without ruining a good grill

Back