THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Good looking ribs even though some people go forward in reverse! Someday you'll come full circle and stop back to well cooked moist dry rubbed ribs ...enjoy the trip though. ;)

Foil crockpot Confession

I confess- Crockpot finished my cheap beef cook last night. I wrapped beef in foil with cattlemen bbq sauce----over night. Ok- I feel better, and admire you for stepping out of the circle :))

Those ribs look fantastic.

Last edited:
Others have voiced largely theoretic concerns about excessive saltiness with these injected/enhanced products. From your pics and comments it would seem these ribs languished needlessly in your freezer - enhancement din't seem to interfere with cooking success. Frankly I think adding 10-12% mostly water to these products is just a scam to charge more - kind of like the butchers thumb on the scales. I haven't been able to tell any difference in the final product

Ok.......now you're over the cliff without a paddle !@!!!

(Wait a minute....is that right?)

Oh well......you know what I mean........:roll:

What a grate sauce-ey, foil-ey kinda cookup...............

Like I said before, you don't have to stay on this side of the fence, just drop by for as visit now & then........esp. if they come out like that !!!!!

Any more I'm a dry, no foil guy due to the diet, but foiled ribs can be fantastic! I like adding some sweet and a little butter in the foil as well. Most times before the diet, I didn't foil though, truth be told.

Others have voiced largely theoretic concerns about excessive saltiness with these injected/enhanced products. From your pics and comments it would seem these ribs languished needlessly in your freezer - enhancement din't seem to interfere with cooking success. Frankly I think adding 10-12% mostly water to these products is just a scam to charge more - kind of like the butchers thumb on the scales. I haven't been able to tell any difference in the final product

Yep. They weren't bad at all. I was wondering if the enhancement had anything to do with them cooking faster than I expected, given the initial pit temp. Usually, I get my ribs at the local mom and pop as they're generally less expensive than Kroger though, but when there's another good sale I won't hesitate to get more.

I used to buy the Kroger "Moist And Tender" spares and use sauce. They all got eaten up. Haven't cooked any more since the first time I cooked them without sauce. The price on sale has temped me to try sauced ribs again. Each to their own.

I just had to reach down to feel the ground to see if it was cold!!! Nice job Cuz, nice job!!

You know cuz? I've been saying I'd have to try the foil thing one of these days in quite a few threads over the years here, so I finally made good on that. I still prefer Barbefunkaramaque's (Now Pitmaster T) weeping rib method but as a change of pace, and with Redhot really liking the result, this will be done again on occasion.

Here's Donnie's post from 2009:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73031&highlight=weeping+rib+method

I used to buy the Kroger "Moist And Tender" spares and use sauce. They all got eaten up. Haven't cooked any more since the first time I cooked them without sauce. The price on sale has temped me to try sauced ribs again. Each to their own.

Since I was experimenting, figured why not use them. I'll have to try them without any sauce sometime and report on that.

Mopped with some Shed Sauce

0B9F0BD5-F39B-44B5-A38E-745C993CEDEB_zps4xg7roln.jpg

"Since I was experimenting, figured why not use them. I'll have to try them without any sauce sometime and report on that."
They are not horrible, they are just not great with only minor seasoning.

Back