THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

deguerre

somebody shut me the fark up.
Well now. Figured I'd go all the way into it and see what half the BBQ world was into. I sauced the first time here...

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=189102

So, might as well foil, right? Had some Kroger "Moist And Tender" spares that had been hanging out in the freezer and thought they'd be great for the experiment. The reason they've been in the freezer for so long, and many rib cooks have transpired since I bought them, is because they're enhanced with a 12% solution. Now, for their pork loins, this doesn't bother me too much, but I did wonder about the ribs. So, here they were after defrosting and rinsing. 11 pounds or so in two slabs...

ribs_zps62fe5d64.jpg

These got the remainder of a container of Simply Marvelous Sweet and Spicy on the back, and a coating of Simply Marvelous Spicy Apple for the top. After the dusting...

ribs1_zps6c7c34ca.jpg

Set up the Cajun Bandit with a full load of Kingsford Hickory, and several chunks of actual hickory. Lit with just one Weber starter cube in the center, covered with a couple briquettes and let it do it's thing for about 30 minutes at which time it was at 220. Into the smoker the slabs went...

ribs2_zps58156325.jpg

ribs3_zpsb6ee811e.jpg

After three hours in the CB which ran right at 220~225 I foiled them.

Here they are before foiling...

ribs4_zps7883ec14.jpg

ribs6_zps6593f882.jpg

ribs5_zpsc4f23255.jpg

These went back in meat side down for 90 minutes, as they seemed to be cooking fairly fast even at 225. The CB spiked with the lid off up to about 300 and I had to shut the top vent down. Got back to 230 after a wee bit.
At the end of the foil time, they looked like this...

ribs7_zps097f0221.jpg

Almost done even at the thick end so I glazed them with some "Sweet Georgia Soul" sauce and they got another 30 minutes. The CB spiked again so I figured I'd shut it down at that point as the residual heat would remain for the duration. Here's the glaze applied...

ribs8_zpsaaa30d14.jpg

And finished setting...

ribs91_zpsfcdaee5f.jpg

ribs92_zps341ffa5e.jpg

And back into the kitchen for dinner...

ribs94_zpsc406bfc0.jpg

ribs93_zps84623a4f.jpg

Unfortunately, I had left the camera on while they rested as we were finishing up on the major house cleaning and other chores so the battery died and there were no plated pics. We had some pintos/corn/rotel/green bean/taco seasoning Redhot threw together as a side. No additional carbs. We managed to eat close to full rack between us so of course they were mighty tasty. :mrgreen: Even though missing the bark, I gave them a resounding thumbs up, and can see why folks do foil. So, trying to not be closed minded about things was the point after all, and we will be doing this again. Thanks for looking!

Those sure do look great, Guerry!

Brisket is about the only thing I don't really tinker too much with. Ribs are great many different ways, except the way a friend's husband does them. Those are just salty and mushy!

Believing in a "one true way" to do anything in BBQ is really just missing out on some great Q. Glad you went at it with an open mind and found another way to make something delicious.

Looks great! There are many ways to cook ribs and get great results. Being the lazy sumbich I am, I go for what's easiest, but it would be interesting to try that sometime. Nice work!

Looks awesome Guerry. I have a couple glazing question. What did you use to apply the glaze, and how long did you wait (or did it take) for the glaze to set to your satisfaction?

Looks like they came out great! Also, Harrison Sapp makes some damn good stuff. My dad and I hang out at his restaurant when they light the fires in the morning when I am lucky enough to be in town.

Looks awesome Guerry. I have a couple glazing question. What did you use to apply the glaze, and how long did you wait (or did it take) for the glaze to set to your satisfaction?

I poured directly from the bottle down the center of each rack and brushed them with a silicone basting brush for an even coating. Let them set for 30 minutes.

Nice looking ribs, Guerry!

See... Foil isn't all bad :-D Plus, your ribs were protected from Biggie when they were in the foil!

I bookmarked the sauce web site. I'll give it a try some day.

Back