THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

boogiesnap

Babbling Farker
where do you go to get some sleep?
we plan on a pop-up, but for now figured the back of an SUV would do. but it seems most comps don't allow cars to stay on-site.
a tent would be first thought, but, even on asphalt?
a motel would be prohibitive for a number of reasons.
any thoughts?

I use a cot and a sleeping bag placed under one of our canopies. I'm not a back sleeper so using a zero gravity chair isn't a comfortable way for me to sleep.

When I have been told that my truck can not be in the cooking area, I tell them that it is MY camper. It is where I sleep and keep all of my stuff. At contests where you do not have access to come and go I just make sure that it is in my spot just like everyone else with a camper. Usually when you put it to them like that they seem to take it a little better.

I once had an organizer tell me that having my vehicle in the cooking area was a fire hazard due to it having a gas tank. Well I said that was fine as long as everone with a motor home moved theirs out of their spots as well. He saw it my way. I personally do not understand why I should be punished because I dont have a big camper or motorhome????

Just my $.02

Blow up mattress also works great or a beach chair (reclining kind).

I use a cot and a sleeping bag placed under one of our canopies. I'm not a back sleeper so using a zero gravity chair isn't a comfortable way for me to sleep.

I do the same. Although we do have a cargo trailer. I can't sleep sitting in a chair. So I get the cot and Vlad gets his chair (we bring Muskoka chairs) and the kids if they come get their tent.

Blow up mattress also works great or a beach chair (reclining kind).

Yup.

An air mattress under the EZ-up will function pretty much like a tent if you have side walls.

I've also slept in the car. Just be sure to get one of those horseshoe shaped traveling neck pillows.

Lastly...don't laugh but I also bring a sleep/eye mask. Inevitibly somebody will have blinking lights or they'll set up a street lamp right next to your spot.

I have a similar cot from Cabelas and sleep under my canopy. It has worked really well. Lights out at 11, check my smoker at 2, and up at 6. The only problem I have had was people not observing quiet time. The canopy doesn't do much for noise. One idea I have been toying with is airconditioning one of my canopies. I was thinking a portable or window unit rigged with the sides down, might make for a nice environment in the heat- kind of a poor mans RV.

We use a portable ac unit. Our e-z up was a cool 69 degrees in lawrenceburg. When I tried to go back to sleep after starting a fire I wished I had brought a quilt. We also use the zero gravity chairs 50 bucks at wally world

When I have been told that my truck can not be in the cooking area, I tell them that it is MY camper. It is where I sleep and keep all of my stuff. At contests where you do not have access to come and go I just make sure that it is in my spot just like everyone else with a camper. Usually when you put it to them like that they seem to take it a little better.

I once had an organizer tell me that having my vehicle in the cooking area was a fire hazard due to it having a gas tank. Well I said that was fine as long as everone with a motor home moved theirs out of their spots as well. He saw it my way. I personally do not understand why I should be punished because I dont have a big camper or motorhome????

Just my $.02
i agree, my only caveat that i didn't really think of prior is, the vehicle will most likely be locked in. while i don't really have anywhere i can imagine i need to go, but, just sayin'.

outside, on a chair? or a cot?
if i gave you my wife's cell number will you let her know....:mad2:

I hear people really sleep well in those chairs.

DSC04129.jpg

I have a Eureka! brand cot that I setup under one of EZ-Ups. That thing sleeps great!

Back