For anyone who gets too cold

I've done steak like this for some time now... saw an episode of Good Eats where AB
recommended this method.
Gave it a try and never looked back.
CI skillet needs to be searing hot on stove top to get the good bark.
It also works well outside on grill.

I've done steak like this for some time now... saw an episode of Good Eats where AB
recommended this method.
Gave it a try and never looked back.
CI skillet needs to be searing hot on stove top to get the good bark.
It also works well outside on grill.
Ever see the Good Eats episode where he sears a chunk of tuna loin on top of a charcoal chimney? He compared it to cooking over a jet engine. Took that idea and have done ribeyes in a CI skillet on top of the chimney. Once you get the sear, dump the chimney of coals into the kettle and put the skillet on the grill to finish. Works great if you're only doing one (or two small) steaks.

My wife just cooked sum ribeye in the oven in a glass pan. I thought it was gonna suck and was thinking ok I will sear with the ci pan because there was no char. Fire up the stove put the ribeye in a few minutes each side to sear and man it was the best steak I have ever eaten. Im sold will be doing them like this from now on haha. Yeah the ci pan dose smoke but its worth it!!!!

I have one of those induction hot plates that has a sear setting and I just plug it in on my deck add my CI pan and sear away. Works great, without having to fire up a grill or big Chimney starter. I also have been banned from doing any searing or blackened cooks inside the house.

This is how I cook steak now. I used to be all about the diamond pattern grill marks... But after I got my cast iron skillet, it's all about the Maillard reaction and finishing off the steaks in the oven so that get to 135 IT for a nice need rare.

Like I did a few minutes ago.

The crust is amazing that the cast iron creates. Like previously mentioned, make sure the skillet is searingly hot before placing the steaks.

Attachments

• 20181226_160728.jpg
    20181226_160728.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 86
Back