THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hate: food that is really hot (spicy). Flavor is good, but if its too hot, I'll pass. Don't understand the HOTTER is better thing. I'm Scandinavian.
Don't feel too bad. My wife is Irish and feels the same about anything with flavor....... :cool:

edit: Am I the only one here that likes turkey?
Save

Last edited:
. . . and yes i understand that velveeta is the spam of the cheese world. :heh:
As if that's an insult. :becky:

Remove that gelatinous substance, stick some span on a hot cast iron skillet for a few minutes, and ya got some culinary gold.

Dunn like brisket. I'll eat the corned beef version on St. Patty's day, that's it.

I like my pulled pork sauced. Love Miracle Whip too, there's no plain mayo in my fridge.

I like turkey, but only during the holidays. Prefer the dark meat.

I like a bit of spice, but not such that you can't taste the food. I get my buffalo wings "medium".

My Food No Fly List:

No Mayo
No Olives (although I could drink Olive Oil)
No Avocado
No Mushrooms
No Eggs (unless they are mixed into a recipe)

Hmmm... I can say I like most everything already discussed provided it is properly prepared and was of reasonable quality to start with. On the same note, anything can be made to taste bad or tasteless. For example, Thanksgiving turkey can be disgusting or an absolute taste of heaven.

This is a great thread... I would call myself a cheese fanatic as well as a burger fanatic. I smoke 100s of pounds of cheese each year when the weather is cold to last throughout the warmer months. And I make burgers of all kinds of meat. But I am always disappointed when I used any cheese but good old fashioned deli sliced American cheese. In all it's processed glory, it just tastes so great when it melts. I feel cheddars, and Gouda, and havarties, etc. just become flavorless when melted. I only usually eat them as is or in cold sandwiches where I feel there flavor holds up. I'd even take veleveeta on a burger over all the fancy schmancy cheddars.

I do love blue cheese on a burger however.

This is a great thread... I would call myself a cheese fanatic as well as a burger fanatic. I smoke 100s of pounds of cheese each year when the weather is cold to last throughout the warmer months. And I make burgers of all kinds of meat. But I am always disappointed when I used any cheese but good old fashioned deli sliced American cheese. In all it's processed glory, it just tastes so great when it melts. I feel cheddars, and Gouda, and havarties, etc. just become flavorless when melted. I only usually eat them as is or in cold sandwiches where I feel there flavor holds up. I'd even take veleveeta on a burger over all the fancy schmancy cheddars.

I do love blue cheese on a burger however.

Bingo! A cheese and burger fanatic here also. You're post is spot on.

Love blue cheese of all kinds btw and my favorite is English Stilton. Who woulda thunk the English would excel in that dept?

Ok......sacrilege here - I'm not a huge fan of brisket........never have been.

Skulking away now with my BBQ cred in tatters.........:bolt:

You're not the only one on this. Said it many times here :-D that even amazing brisket is just normal decent food for me. Point better than the flat and I'd certainly eat brisket if that is what was served to me at someone's house with no complaints, but it just isn't mind blowing. It is one of, if not my favorite thing to cook though :clap2:

In general, I'm in a small bucket of folks that nothing tastes bad to me (excluding some crazy Andrew Zimmern type stuff, though I do eat certain things people won't touch). I can eat anything and in any form. There are certain things that are more "bland/middle of the road in flavor" such as white meat turkey/chicken, certain pork loins depending on how they are cooked, generic hot dogs. But I can eat all that with no complaints.

So this of course means I eat a ton of stuff people don't like and shun others for. McRibs, Velveeta (with rotel and bbq meat is awesome), spam, stuff that has high fructose corn syrup in it or artificial crap, Steel Reserve, processed anything, cheap bologna, margarine, msg is cool with me, any fast food really, love me some cheap gas station food like at QT, and probably a bunch more garbage :becky:.

Don't feel too bad. My wife is Irish and feels the same about anything with flavor....... :cool:

edit: Am I the only one here that likes turkey?
Save

I like turkey! Only it has to be equal parts dark meat, cheap boxed stuffing, and can-shaped cranberry sauce. Honestly, I'd probably still love it partly blended. Then I sleep.

I dont understand turkey breast.

chicken feet (dim sum style ) and turkey necks done in the pressure cooker with garlic, salt, celery, and onion

I'm not a big fan of pork butt pulled. Probably has to do with how I cook it

I've had a couple of briskets that were awesome. I'm impressed with you folks that can consistently cook them. Mine are hit or hiss.

I'm not a big fan of pork butt pulled. Probably has to do with how I cook it

I've had a couple of briskets that were awesome. I'm impressed with you folks that can consistently cook them. Mine are hit or hiss.

I like my butts deboned, sliced thin and piled up. I think it comes from my time living in the Redneck Rivera

Now this thread is really goin.

I also hate ribeyes. Too much fat and gristle. They look good when you guys cook them but I won't eat them.

This is the craziest thing I've read in this thread so far!!! :wink:

There you go... its ok.... See its easy to come clean among friends! Despite your glaring error in personal preference (scientifically speaking,of course), you are still accepted. I don't care what anyone says about you behind your back, you're alright with me! :biggrin:

Anyone else? I'll say Im surprised nobody is backing me up on mock-chicken leg love! C'mon dig back to the public school lunch days! You know you loved them! Them things got traded for two extra chocolate milks or two desserts easy! Now Im wondering if they are a midwestern thing?

Last edited:
I'll see if some people can relate

I love to smoke meat, I like getting up early, I like trimming and prep and I like to see the finished product. But at the end of the day when the meat has rested and been pulled or sliced I sort of lose interest. It tastes good but I just don't have that craving like when I go to Joes KC to get pulled pork or burnt ends.

Also, I hate bell peppers

I'll see if some people can relate

I love to smoke meat, I like getting up early, I like trimming and prep and I like to see the finished product. But at the end of the day when the meat has rested and been pulled or sliced I sort of lose interest. It tastes good but I just don't have that craving like when I go to Joes KC to get pulled pork or burnt ends.

Also, I hate bell peppers

I think that is the cook's conundrum. I remember my grandma cooking all day for the family, and hardly eating a bite when things were said and done. My favorite bit of a day long cook, is when you go to check on the meat and move things around, and that perfect piece "breaks" off . Somebody has to eat it. Those pieces are usually heaven.

Back