Flying with meat

I have flown lots of BBQ, sausage, etc. from Austin to L.A. on many occasions. I always pack it in a soft sided cooler and check - it's colder down there where the luggage is. I used dry ice last time, but I think it was unneccessary - that said, it was unncessary b/c there weren't any problems or delays. But that dry ice will freeze stuff up super hard! Alternately you could use gel packs, which should work fine. Airlines like to be notified if there's dry ice - under 5# isn't a problem IIRC, and there's no way you'd need that much.

Anyway - you'd probably be good with the flat just frozen up solid and tightly confined in a quality cooler of some sort. Soft sided is good 'cause it zips shut. I wouldn't carry it on - possible PITA at security, and, as mentioned, it's colder in the luggage hold.

I now have 2 soft sided coolers - one for BBQ, one for Blue Bell. :hungry:

Congrats on the little one! Like they say - you know why grandparents and grandchildren get along so well? they have a common enemy!

On the Netflix series “The Chef Show”, John Favreau tells a story about pulling a brisket off the smoker, wrapping it in towels and flying across the country while it rested! This show is awesome and has a couple episodes with Aaron Franklin in Austin smoking briskets and lending his cookers for Korean bbq short ribs.

I’m flying coast to coast with 30lbs of frozen smoked pork shoulder tomorrow.
I’ll let ya know how it goes :becky:

Back