THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

D0gbert

Found some matches.
Hi All,

Thought I'd share yesterday's successful Q.

My late mother-in-law Florence had a long-standing recipe for oven-baked ribs that we often had over Labor Day. Nothing like getting together with family for a good time and good food, so yesterday in her honor I fired up the UDS and put a smoker spin on her recipe.

I modified the 3-2-1 method to 3-1.5-0.5 at 250F for this one.

Brought the UDS to 250F with lump charcoal and seasoned black oak chunks that I just split.

While that was firing up, we cut a rack of pork spare ribs St. Louis Style and rubbed it using mustard and Basic BBQ Rub from Melissa Cookston's book "Smokin' in the Boys' Room", then let it sit for 45 min or so.

Rack went on for 3 hrs at 250F, bone side down.

While the rack was on the smoker, I made Flo's Mojo sauce:

Mix 1c ketchup, 1/3 c Worcestershire, 1 c red wine, 1 c water, 1 small can tomato paste, 1/2 c. Heinz chili sauce, 1t salt, 1t lemon pepper, 1T Cholula/Tapatio/Crystal, or similar hot sauce. Simmered for an hour stirring every 15 min or so.

Cut 1/8" thick wheels out of 1 lemon and 1 white onion. Removed seeds from lemon wheels.

Foiling @ 3 hrs ET: poured a cup or so of Flo's Mojo sauce on the foil, plunked in wheels of onion and lemon, then put the rack in meat side down so the onion and lemon were against the meat. mopped the bone side, then sealed up the foil and put it back on for 1.5 hrs @ 250F. Did the same for the tips, not sure where the skirt went... erp, smack smack ;-).

Final cook @ 4.5 hrs ET: carefully rolled rack out of of the foil, so bone side was down, then put onions and lemon back on top of the meat and mopped. cooked 250F for 30 min. Same for the tips.

Removed from the UDS at 5 hrs ET.

Verdict: Awesome. Meat was tender but not quite falling off the bone. Every bit of the same flavor we had at countless get-togethers over the years. Thanks Florence!!

Here are a few photos:
CCCD7FD9-CDC3-45C6-B3E8-8E9AEEC9A9FA_zpsgl1ntvuv.jpg

Game on!

33AA42E3-DDD3-4625-9289-2DECE3454440_zpsq24far6c.jpg

UDS-1701 warp engines engaged.

B0009F25-133C-4BF9-A5C6-8F6B26207468_zpsstdx5zvx.jpg

Post-foiling: did it turn to mush? Stay tuned...

AFCA2165-27D8-4747-A65E-D4E9DCCD8CA6_zpsmu8cdrol.jpg

Ready for the Final Frontier...

2D286D2F-1340-404D-B1E0-952FDA712FFE_zps7bbla2to.jpg

Firmed up and beautiful!

Hey Titch, have you ever done any Qs using Vegemite? I've heard adding it to broths etc. gives them a real full and savory taste. I haven't tried that, but maybe it would work as an injection with broth for pork butt?

Speaking of which I now have to go get white bread toast with butter and Vegemite.

Back