THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No reason to flip mid-cook. As has been said, cook that bad boy fat cap down or with water in your pan. Or both. Probably both.

As i said before, i disagree with this. Terry had issues this time, and i assume others, with one side being too crispy. Ill flip, rotate and use aluminum heat shield to protect the brisket from getting beat up. Sure lots of people dont flip but lots of people don't make truly great brisket either. We seek those suttle nuances to take things over the top.

The brisket looks great btw. We are our own toughest critics. I say try flipping/rotating, it may just add that tiny extra to your brisket. Heres a flipped and rotated briaket i did id say the bark is in tact and thats good looking fat cap bark that didn't get left in the smoker grate

(That little imperfection in the middle was due to my cat spring boarding off the brisket while the dog chased him)

I misunderstood...
Brisket gets crispy on the non fat cap side regardless of fat cap up or down. If that's correct I'm not sure flipping will help and a pan won't help either. I guess it's time to wrap.

I always cook the briskets fat cap down the LSG (and my WSM).agree with other posters, this should correct your issue.

I always cook the briskets fat cap down the LSG (and my WSM).agree with other posters, this should correct your issue.

That's what I thought too but it didn't make any difference on his most recent cook. Weird.

Thoey,
Just wondering about what appears to me as a possible incorrect measuring: pit probe sitting over the sweating 16# pounder ?!?!?!
Could it be altered ?

Btw, your brisket looks like a success from here.

Terry, I cook my briskets almost identical to you. Except, I use a large foil pan on the bottom rack to catch drippings. I fill this pan with 1 gallon of water (at the start) and that is all the water I ever put in it. I have not had any problem with a hard crust.

I misunderstood...
Brisket gets crispy on the non fat cap side regardless of fat cap up or down. If that's correct I'm not sure flipping will help and a pan won't help either. I guess it's time to wrap.

Yep, this is what is puzzling me. Fat cap up or fat cap down, the non-fat cap side gets crispy. Fat cap up, and the bottom got really hard. Fat cap down and the top didn't get as hard, but enough that I couldn't slice through it, I had to rock my knife to go through it.

Don't get me wrong, other than that, this brisket was pretty good and it had the best smoke ring I have ever produced. Needed a little more seasoning, but so did the ribs, think I just had a light hand that day.

Terry, I cook my briskets almost identical to you. Except, I use a large foil pan on the bottom rack to catch drippings. I fill this pan with 1 gallon of water (at the start) and that is all the water I ever put in it. I have not had any problem with a hard crust.

Hey, I'll give it a try next time...

I cook fat cap down on top grate and never check on it until done.

And, how do you know when it is done? Can't go by temp as we all know each piece of meat is different. Can't go by time as we all know every cut of meat is different. Trust me, I am not opening the door every hour, I got away from that. This was on at 1 am, I took a look at it around 3 am when we got home, and then I went to bed and didn't look at it again until 10.

Yep, this is what is puzzling me. Fat cap up or fat cap down, the non-fat cap side gets crispy. Fat cap up, and the bottom got really hard. Fat cap down and the top didn't get as hard, but enough that I couldn't slice through it, I had to rock my knife to go through it.

Don't get me wrong, other than that, this brisket was pretty good and it had the best smoke ring I have ever produced. Needed a little more seasoning, but so did the ribs, think I just had a light hand that day.

Hey, I'll give it a try next time...

And, how do you know when it is done? Can't go by temp as we all know each piece of meat is different. Can't go by time as we all know every cut of meat is different. Trust me, I am not opening the door every hour, I got away from that. This was on at 1 am, I took a look at it around 3 am when we got home, and then I went to bed and didn't look at it again until 10.

There is nothing wrong with taking a look now and then!:mrgreen:

Do you use a mop, or spray at all? On more relaxed cooks for family where I have multiple butts and briskets in they all get sprayed with the same thing whether I wrap or not. Apple Juice.

<sigh> Maybe... Like my friend said, and has been said many times before, we are our own worst critics. I am happy with my consistency of producing pretty good briskets. I am just striving for perfection... :mrgreen:

A brisket cooked w/out wrapping in either foil or paper will get a little too dry on the outside. It's exposed to too much heat for too long, not that 225* is too hot at all. Spritzing or mopping will help some. I think wrapping or panning the brisket will help the most. If the bark is a little too soft for your liking, then leave it in the pit for about 20-30 minutes unwrapped and it will firm back up just fine. I used to not like to foil or wrap but honestly I get a better/tender brisket this way. Lack of smoke is not an issue in my WSM. Lump and wood chunks :)

Read it again. Sounds like it's not the fat cap getting crispy.

Fat cap on bottom gets Hard. I cook Fat Cap Down in Verticals. I seperate point n flat and use electric knife and cut off Hard fat cap -Edges of flat and sometimes end of Point get crunchy I slice those off for dog treats then I slice.

Fat cap on bottom gets Hard. I cook Fat Cap Down in Verticals. I seperate point n flat and use electric knife and cut off Hard fat cap -Edges of flat and sometimes end of Point get crunchy I slice those off for dog treats then I slice.

i wasn't talking about your briskets:loco:

Back