THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NCGrimbo

is Blowin Smoke!

Batch Image
After reading a lot of the pros and cons of using lump, I thought I would experiment with it this weekend. So, on Saturday, I loaded up the Bandera and spent the day cooking. And what post is useful without pictures.

The victim, a 5.5lb flat of brisket, known as Bri to her friends:
BrisketRaw2.jpg

Her roommate, "Fattie" after a coming off the dusty trails:
FattiesPrepped1.jpg

Did I mention Bri also went on that trail?
BrisketPrepped2.jpg

I started the lump by loading my Spicewine basket and firing up the MAPP torch. (Sorry no pictures) Once I got the several of the lumps in the first chamber going, I closed the lid and opened the vents and waited for the temps to rise.

At 10:20, Bandera temp was 150, so I loaded the brisket, fatties, some brats and some chicken. I figured the everything except the brisket would be ready by lunch. Here's a quick chart of the temps I saw though the day:

Code:
Time   Brisket Bandera
10:20    42      150
11:00    84      200
11:20    98      250
11:42   116      230
12:05   130      300
12:55   152      275
13:20   154      250
13:45   154      225
14:15   151      225
14:40   156      250
15:15   158      200
15:45   151      In oven.
At 15:45, I decided that I was losing the temperature in the bandera, so off to the oven to finish. In total, I used 20lbs of lump. I started with 10lbs and added the second 10lb bag at 13:45. The funny thing is that around 4:30, I noticed that the temps inside the bandera had risen back to 250 and stayed steady for several hours. I guess I pulled the meat out to soon.

So, here's the finished pictures:
Brisket:
CutBrisket.jpg

Brats:
BratwurstCooked1.jpg

Fatties:
FattieCooked2.jpg

The chicken didn't stick around long enough for me to take any pictures. :-D

What I learned:
Lump seems easier to work with than briquettes. It doesn't have the temperature swings that I noticed with the bruquettes, but you still have to watch over it.

I believe that I will be a lump convert from now on.

I like lump, but I think briquettes do better in charcoal baskets. In my experience, the briqs can be packed closer.(less air pockets). How was your temps & times compared with a cook using briquettes? And I run a fire for about 2 hours before loading a lit basket. It heats up the smoker nice and and good 1hr worth of wood smoke before I go with the basket.

Of course we have different smokers, but the concept should work for you.

Ty

I like lump, but I think briquettes do better in charcoal baskets. In my experience, the briqs can be packed closer.(less air pockets). How was your temps & times compared with a cook using briquettes? And I run a fire for about 2 hours before loading a lit basket. It heats up the smoker nice and and good 1hr worth of wood smoke before I go with the basket.

Of course we have different smokers, but the concept should work for you.

Ty

I found that the temps with briquettes in the bandera climbed to over 300 to quickly and I would have to open the firebox lid to let the heat escape. I didn't need to do that with the lump. The end result with briquettes was be a little quicker cook, but a smaller smoke ring and less smoke flavor. I liked the increase in smoke flavor with the lump and a more consistant temperature.

As for the taste from the cook, everything was juicy and delicious!

Back