THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SweetHeatBBQnSC

is One Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Joedy
Last week during Spring Break I smoked for my first time ever...I decided to take a rack of spares and trim them down the St. Louis style. Also, for the brethren I had to try a nekkid fatty.

My WSM cooked like a beast. It held 250-260 the entire cook. My ribs cooked in 3 1/2 hours to an IT of 195-200 degrees. I used 4 chunks of Hickory and 3 chunks of Cherry. Also, I cooked using the minion method with my coals. The cook itself I felt went excellent. The ribs cooked slightly faster than I expected, but they developed an excellent bark and when I cut them they had a good smoke ring (very proud). However, a couple of questions for the brethren.

1- My smoker had no problem holding 250-260 degrees the entire cook. This surprised me because several people said their new WSM would run hot until it gunked up. I was losing smoke through the door and the lid, but it did not cause any problem temperature wise. With that being said should I still put gasket tape on the door and lid and keep it better sealed?

2- The cooking went very well....but I found out Hickory (at least 4 chunks) is a little stronger smokey smell than I care for. My wife and FIL loved them and thought the smokiness was perfect, but it was much for me. I have a new bag of Hickory so if I lower the amount of Hickory will it be fine or should I just not use Hickory?

3- I used approximately 9 lbs of KBB. I have read many people talk about their coals burning for 12 hours or so. My coals had burned out after roughly 5 hours. What could be the culprit of this?
I may have choked my fire down too much to begin with. It took almost 50 minutes to get to 250 degrees. I started out will all 3 vents half way closed. Also, I may have dumped my coals a little early from my chimney. The fire had went out, but the coals were still burning red/orange. Should I have waited until they were completely gray?

Thanks for all the advice that led me to my WSM its a wonderful smoker and I couldn't be happier with it.

Attachments

• 20190423_190740.jpg
    20190423_190740.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 268
  • 20190423_181445.jpg
    20190423_181445.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 270
  • 20190423_201810.jpg
    20190423_201810.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 267
Last week during Spring Break I smoked for my first time ever...I decided to take a rack of spares and trim them down the St. Louis style. Also, for the brethren I had to try a nekkid fatty.

My WSM cooked like a beast. It held 250-260 the entire cook. My ribs cooked in 3 1/2 hours to an IT of 195-200 degrees. I used 4 chunks of Hickory and 3 chunks of Cherry. Also, I cooked using the minion method with my coals. The cook itself I felt went excellent. The ribs cooked slightly faster than I expected, but they developed an excellent bark and when I cut them they had a good smoke ring (very proud). However, a couple of questions for the brethren.

1- My smoker had no problem holding 250-260 degrees the entire cook. This surprised me because several people said their new WSM would run hot until it gunked up. I was losing smoke through the door and the lid, but it did not cause any problem temperature wise. With that being said should I still put gasket tape on the door and lid and keep it better sealed?

If the cooker is running at the temp you want then you probably don't need the gasket. I would personally do it anyway because I think in the long run it will help you avoid temperature spikes and make it easier to control temp with just your exhaust dials.

2- The cooking went very well....but I found out Hickory (at least 4 chunks) is a little stronger smokey smell than I care for. My wife and FIL loved them and thought the smokiness was perfect, but it was much for me. I have a new bag of Hickory so if I lower the amount of Hickory will it be fine or should I just not use Hickory?

I would probably use less hickory as it's a bit of a strong wood. I usually go with three-ish fist sized chunks of wood and that's plenty of smoke for me. Your fruit woods are going to be a little less intense of a smokey flavor and your other hardwoods will get progressively stronger all the way up to Mesquite which is a bit strong for me in any application.

3- I used approximately 9 lbs of KBB. I have read many people talk about their coals burning for 12 hours or so. My coals had burned out after roughly 5 hours. What could be the culprit of this?
I may have choked my fire down too much to begin with. It took almost 50 minutes to get to 250 degrees. I started out will all 3 vents half way closed. Also, I may have dumped my coals a little early from my chimney. The fire had went out, but the coals were still burning red/orange. Should I have waited until they were completely gray?

This is probably another reason I'd use some gasket, just gives you more control. It's hard to tell why you used so much charcoal. It could be too much choke at the beginning of the cook but, things like ambient temp., wind, age of the charcoal etc all have factors. That's what's so great about this hobby, it's always different :).

Thanks for all the advice that led me to my WSM its a wonderful smoker and I couldn't be happier with it.

Wow! That is an excellent first cook in a new cooker! My 22wsm take an 18 to 20 lb bag to fill for a long cook. I never really measured the amount for a 5 hour cook but 9lb may be about right. My 18wsm takes a lot less coal to run.

Congrats, you will love your WSM.

Great job!!

I had put gaskets on my WSM because the temps would be hard to control if the weather is cold and windy. I also put on a stainless steel door from Cajun Bandit. You may not have any need for those mods.

3.5 hrs seems like a fast cooking time for 250. I usually go about 6 hr. but unlike many people here, I like my ribs falling off the bone.

Those ribs look about 100 times better than the 1st ones I ever did so good job! Try using 3 chunks next time and see if that works for you. Don't drop your hot coals in until they are completely lit. Open all 3 bottom vents and catch your desired temp on the way up (I usually end up with 2 closed and 1 partially open). Top vent stays completely open for the whole cook. I've only used my 18.5 but I've heard the 22 uses a lot more coal. Keep up the good work!

How many coals roughly did you start with? I have a 18.5WSM that I haven’t used yet and I’m thinking of starting with 20-30 lit coals.

Great first smoke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think my burn times are a little longer with the 22. Ribs look great only thing I would check is if you were using the dome thermometer I’ve never found that to be accurate. Maybe you were cooking hotter than you thought?

Great job!!

I had put gaskets on my WSM because the temps would be hard to control if the weather is cold and windy. I also put on a stainless steel door from Cajun Bandit. You may not have any need for those mods.

3.5 hrs seems like a fast cooking time for 250. I usually go about 6 hr. but unlike many people here, I like my ribs falling off the bone.

I totally know what you mean. I was cooking these ribs trying to hit competition tenderness. If I am just eating them at the house though, you are right on with the fall off the bone!

I think my burn times are a little longer with the 22. Ribs look great only thing I would check is if you were using the dome thermometer I’ve never found that to be accurate. Maybe you were cooking hotter than you thought?

This is an excellent point, I was using the dome thermometer. I am about to order my probes today and that should give me an idea of how much it is off. Thanks!

Back