THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I would keep an eye on Craigslist for used offsets if that is the way you want to go. I understand the thought process. I joined here ealier this year and went through the same thing. Everyone recommended a WSM or a UDS. But I really wanted the experience of an offset. I bought a used OK Joe for $140. Saved enough with the same budget you had to build a mini WSM for $70 and buy a Weber Master Touch for $20.

I don't know if you want to use an offset for a charcoal grill. I know you can but you will constantly be cleaning up a mess. With weber kettles so cheap used there is no reason to. Just my opinion. :becky:

But don't give up on CL. I have seen a lot of smokers on CL for NH/VT/MA this summer. You just need to keep an eye out for them. You want one that is at least 1/8" steel and not the cheaper models...
why would it be more difficult to clean this than any other charcoal grill?

I got a Trailmaster for father's day.Works pretty well without any mods.I used to have new braunfels offset with some mods that i competed with.Also I have cooked on everything from large open grills(5' x 10') to a med Spicewine and 2 dif types of stumps.Iyou want an offset get the trailmaster its not as bad as some people think.

I'd def. recommend a WSM:

- Right in your budget range.
- Ready to go out of the box, no mods necessary.
- Easy to learn, with a massive, resourceful online community.
- Easy to set up, break down, clean and store.
- Doesn't take up a lot of space when it's in-use.
- Lasts forever and built rock-solid.
- Fuel efficient with lump or briqs.
- Good amount of cooking space.
- Fire management is fast and simple.
- Great resale value if you ever want to upgrade.

I looked at the weber performer. How is it used as a smoker? Do you burn the charcoal in that bin on the lower right hand side?

I use mine all the time, i banks some coals on one side and i use a couple of bricks as a barrier and heat sink and place food on other side of grill. Here is a photo of my setup from smoking a roast. You can see the coals, bricks next to them, There is also that aluminum foil you see i was using that to block any direct heat from the coals- a have just started setting a couple of bricks above the bottom ones instead to achieve this. I also cover the half of the great under food with foil to help airflow and usueally i have a pan under it as well. This sounds like a lot maybe, but once youve done it, it really is simple

Attachments

Back