THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SDAR

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Name or Nickame
Allen
I went to an Asian grocery store to get some hot Asian chili paste to cook with. $95 dollars later and a couple of pork bellies, I made myself leave. The stores that I frequent never have them to my knowledge. Anyway, I cooked one.

Attachments

• IMG_3313.jpg
    IMG_3313.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_3325.jpg
    IMG_3325.jpg
    95.4 KB · Views: 212
I see that cooked all the time on cooking shows. Yours looks every bit as good as theirs'

Does look mighty fine SDAR, want to share how you did it?

Thanks. I hung it in The Pit Barrel Cooker. I really didn't know when to pull it other than I wanted it buttery soft. I hung until around 175 internal and then pulled it to lay it on the grate. I was afraid it was going to fall on the coals. I cut through the skin about every inch to get rub to the meat (and fat) underneath. It was real tender around 190, so I put some sauce on it. I burned the sauce a little when the smoker heated up between pulling it, saucing it, turning it to sauce the other side etc. It didn't burn too bad but I wanted a little better color on the bark.

I learned though and have another shot at it. Probably soon.

I make a lot of bacon but never did a whole slab. After I saw this I believe it's definitely in the near future. Keep us posted on your next one......yummy!

I make a lot of bacon but never did a whole slab. After I saw this I believe it's definitely in the near future. Keep us posted on your next one......yummy!

Thanks. I actually expected it to sort of taste like bacon. It wound up tasting like a really savory, really rich rib. That may be because I basically cooked it like I do my ribs...without a wrap and no brown sugar though.

Come to think of it, a wrap with brown sugar and hot chili paste would probably be great!

I hate you right now................... In a good way!

How do you clean lick marks off the monitor?

Lookin' mighty fine over in Amarillo!

I need do give this a shot in the near term...

Back