THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Woodbooger

Knows what a fatty is.
Normally I use oak and hickory for EVERYTHING, I also like cherry, but I love to try all different types. Recently I ran into some orange wood and naturally I had to give it a go. I was hoping to use it on some striped bass because they were running like crazy all of last week. Long story short the bass were few and far between Saturday and Sunday and the sharks were decimating our bunker. So intro to some "Korean" style beef! We got our hands on some real pretty sirloins and cut them into strips. I threw some seasoning on them which consisted of black pepper, salt, ginger, garlic, onion, brown sugar, and sesame seed. The strips marinated for an hour or so in a soy sauce, rice vinegar, sesame oil, garlic, and green onion mixture. Soon after that the charcoals and wood were good to go on the Weber Kettle so we seared them about 3 minutes on each side and moved them aside for an hour while we downed some yellow bellies. Our end result was awesome! Of course we also did a couple of rib eyes on the side lol.

The flavor was great, it was only a short smoke but it was heavier than I thought it would be with a moderate citrus flavor. I will be able to tell you more when I do some ribs or a shoulder with it. I still prefer oak lol.

Back