THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

mrmarkfr

Knows what a fatty is.
I got hooked on charcoal with the purchase of a Chargriller Akorn a couple of summers ago, then sold my gas grill and bought a Weber 22" kettle last summer, and I just picked up a used 18.5" WSM with PID controller(can't remember which one) this week.
My question is what is one of the best meats to try cooking on the WSM as my first cook? I've done smoking on the Akorn for a couple of years, but was always disappointed with the amount of food I was able to cook at once(maybe Also, I prefer the unwrapped(non-Texas crutch) ribs as I like the texture better.
I have some side ribs, baby back ribs, beef ribs, and a couple of chickens, as well as a rib roast in the freezer right now, and a 7 lb pork shoulder, just curious as to which would be the best odds of success for a first attempt on the WSM.
Also, any tips on working with the WSM vs the Akorn(which I almost find as a set it and forget it type of cooking, especially with my Auber on it). Do I need to do a snake or minion method with it? With the Akorn, I would just lite 1/2 a small wax cube, get the temp to about 200, then set the Auber for 250, and come back later. No fuss, no muss, temp controlled easily. Is the WSM the same type of animal?

Minion is the way to go, I like to fill up the charcoal ring with charcoal and wood chunks and dump about 20-25 ashed over coals to start with. Leave all the vents open until I get within 15-20 degrees to my desired temp and shut 2 of the bottom vents down, I usually can control the temp with the one open vent. Let it run for about an hour to clean up the smoke.

I have an ATC(BBQ IQ110) but the only time I use it is if I'm not going to be home during the whole cook, other than that I just monitor it with my Maverick. I can't say I've ever had a problem with steady temps and it's easy to make slight adjustments with vents when needed.

Cook whatever you want it will all turnout good, I still prefer todo chicken and Tr-Tip on the grill but everything else on the WSM.

Last edited:
The WSM will cook all of those beautifully but I say go with the pork butt as it is the most forgiving. It will give you a chance to mess around with the cooking temps on the WSM without fearing you will ruin it. Pork butt can be cooked low and slow or hot and fast and still come out awesome.

As far as it's operation, I always like to do a minion method. Fill the charcoal basket with charcoal with smoking wood mixed in, remove about 20 coals or so into a chimney starter, light them and poor them on top of the unlit charcoal in the basket, put the smoker together. Keep all the vents on the bottom and top open until the smokers temp is about 200 degrees. Then close all the bottom vents down most of the way, see where is levels off and open them up as needed to raise the temperature. With this method I can usually cook anywhere between 225-275 for 10-12 hours without doing a thing (barring any severe changes in wind or weather). Since you have a PID it should be even easier to maintain temp. Hope this helps.

Most of my set up procedures come from the Virtual Weber Bullet site. Check it out if you get a chance!

I got hooked on charcoal with the purchase of a Chargriller Akorn a couple of summers ago, then sold my gas grill and bought a Weber 22" kettle last summer, and I just picked up a used 18.5" WSM with PID controller(can't remember which one) this week.
My question is what is one of the best meats to try cooking on the WSM as my first cook? I've done smoking on the Akorn for a couple of years, but was always disappointed with the amount of food I was able to cook at once(maybe Also, I prefer the unwrapped(non-Texas crutch) ribs as I like the texture better.
I have some side ribs, baby back ribs, beef ribs, and a couple of chickens, as well as a rib roast in the freezer right now, and a 7 lb pork shoulder, just curious as to which would be the best odds of success for a first attempt on the WSM.
Also, any tips on working with the WSM vs the Akorn(which I almost find as a set it and forget it type of cooking, especially with my Auber on it). Do I need to do a snake or minion method with it? With the Akorn, I would just lite 1/2 a small wax cube, get the temp to about 200, then set the Auber for 250, and come back later. No fuss, no muss, temp controlled easily. Is the WSM the same type of animal?

I would say the pork shoulder but if it was me I'd be adventurous and do something different because most people will suggest the pork shoulder.

I would use the minion method for cooking on the WSM. Snake method works great for 150-175 or lower cooking. I normally throw 5-7 wood chunks on it depending on the size of the chunks. Start with 3/4-full chimney. I normally go with a 3/4 chimney It takes a little longer to warm up but I prefer to have a slower warm up. Once it gets up to temp and I keep it steady I let it run for a good 30 minutes before putting the food on.

From there It runs on its own. You might have to adjust the dampers a few times to start with. I normally start wide open then when It gets to temp I can shut all 3 down to about half way. From there I let the cooker stabilize and adjust the dampers accordingly before the meat goes on.

I have no experience with the PID or any devices like that tho

I would also recommend a bone in pork shoulder. You may find like I did, the water in the pan should be eliminated. Search this site there have been many discussion on the topic. I wouldn't put too much effort lighting a fire. I would simply fill the fuel ring, then light a small section in the middle with a small torch (when running my PID controller). I would also use apple wood for the pork butt.
Good luck with your WSM, I know you will enjoy it.

I say ribs cause i like em and it's a shorter cook. I say its better to do a 4-6 hour cook than an 8-12 hour one for a first go

I would also recommend a bone in pork shoulder. You may find like I did, the water in the pan should be eliminated. Search this site there have been many discussion on the topic. I wouldn't put too much effort lighting a fire. I would simply fill the fuel ring, then light a small section in the middle with a small torch (when running my PID controller). I would also use apple wood for the pork butt.
Good luck with your WSM, I know you will enjoy it.

I personally would go the route of covering the top of the water pan with foil. I've tried no water pan, and It requires some attention because I always end up burning the bottom of my food. And it seems to keep temps a bit more stable. Very inconsistent without the water pan. This is my experience tho.

A lot of good info above. I would cook on it without the controller first. WSM's are stable enough that they really don't need a lot of tending. Get something like a Maverick ET-733 so you can monitor the temps. The dome thermometer on the WSM's are know to be off. Fill the basket with charcoal and wood chunks, I light the center with a weed burner, assemble the WSM, all vents wide open. When you get close to your target temp, I close two lower vents and close the third about half way. Minor adjustments is all you need from there.

As to what to cook, that's more up to what you want and how much time you have. My WSM 22.5 likes to run at 275*. Pork Ribs take 4-5 hours, Beef Short Rib Plates take 6 - 7 hours, Pork Butts take about an hour per pound.

I have done several mods to my WSM. I turned the coal grate and ring into a fire basket and I put a planter base in the water pan instead of using water. Check out the link in my signature for ideas.

I learned on my WSM (i have the 22, but same principle) using the ring with lit coals in the middle. It works really well, but i since have scrapped it for minion, as it is ridiculously steady and seems to use even less coal per hour. I don't use water either - just a foiled water pan.

I'd go for the pork butt for the first cook. They're the most forgiving, and you'll have enough leftovers to eat while you play around with everything else you listed.

I personally would go the route of covering the top of the water pan with foil. I've tried no water pan, and It requires some attention because I always end up burning the bottom of my food. And it seems to keep temps a bit more stable. Very inconsistent without the water pan. This is my experience tho.

I always run a water pan without water. It is double foiled with heave duty aluminum foil and empty. Some folks add firebrick, crumpled aluminum foil balls or rocks. I simply run it foiled and empty.

Just to answer some comments from above, I already have a Maverick, couldn't live without it. I have most of the toys(therapen, pid controller, maverick, etc, etc :) ) from my Akron fun.
Next question, lump or briquettes? I have a bag of Kingsford competition briquettes looking for a good use:), but I also have 4 bags of lump, and 1.5 boxes of coconut charcoal.

What type of coal to burn is personal choice. I use the regular KBB and like it. Others hate the taste. Some like lump as there is less ash than KBB, others think lump burns to hot. Buy several different bags and try them out to see what you prefer.

Butts......and while that is cooking might as well toss on some ribs and chicken.......and bacon wrapped jalapenos and maybe as an appetizer do a pork tenderloin wrapped in bacon :-D

I would cook on it without the controller first.
This.
I am a strong proponent of knowing how to cook on tour pit without electric doodads.
Cook the pork. A nice, long, no pressure cook so you can see how the WSM performs and reacts to changes.
Top vent WFO, control temps with bottom vents. Lower vents at about 1/3 get me 250-275 dome.
Just watch the WSM become your new favorite cooker.

Just to answer some comments from above, I already have a Maverick, couldn't live without it. I have most of the toys(therapen, pid controller, maverick, etc, etc :) ) from my Akron fun.
Next question, lump or briquettes? I have a bag of Kingsford competition briquettes looking for a good use:), but I also have 4 bags of lump, and 1.5 boxes of coconut charcoal.
I prefer briquettes and usually use Royal Oak, I've used lump as well but I can't tell a difference in taste between the two. I feel the smoke flavor comes from the wood chunks and I get a more consistent burn from briquettes.

Back