THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Desertracer

Knows what a fatty is.
All this talk lately about chuckie I thought I would see what all the fuss was about. I got my local butcher to cut me up a 6.25lbs chuck, put my own rub on it, and let it sit for about 5 hours. I got the UDS set at 250 degrees and let cook for 3 hours. At the 3 hour mark I put it in a pan with a can of beer, apple smoked bacon, and butter; and let it cook for another 1.5 hours, until about 165 degrees. I foiled it the rest of the way until 198 degrees and pulled it off to rest for 1.5 hours. It pulled apart okay but not like I would have wanted but it was pretty good. Total cook time was 6.5 hours.

Attachments

Last edited:
Looks good. I did my first chuckle a few weeks ago also on a uds, and let it go about 12-13 hrs. Until it "probed like butter", it was great. I didn't really look for a specific temp to pull it at, just kept it on until probe tender. Keep at it, you'll get the feel for it.:thumb:

All this talk lately about chuckie I thought I would see what all the fuss was about. I got my local butcher to cut me up a 6.25lbs chuck, put my own rub on it, and let it sit for about 5 hours. I got the UDS set at 250 degrees and let cook for 3 hours. At the 3 hour mark I put it in a pan with a can of beer, apple smoked bacon, and butter; and let it cook for another 1.5 hours, until about 165 degrees. I foiled it the rest of the way until 198 degrees and pulled it off to rest for 1.5 hours. It pulled apart okay but not like I would have wanted but it was pretty good. Total cook time was 6.5 hours.

you pulled it too soon. for me, chuckies always seem to take a little longer to finish than I think they will...usually they're up over 200° before they're ready

Looks good. I did my first chuckle a few weeks ago also on a uds, and let it go about 12-13 hrs. Until it "probed like butter", it was great. I didn't really look for a specific temp to pull it at, just kept it on until probe tender. Keep at it, you'll get the feel for it.:thumb:
^^^that

Looks good. I always have to cook chuckies forever till they pull apart easily. I finish mine in foil and they are always braising at 210-212, but I don't check for temp, just for tenderness.

It pulled apart okay but it didn't fall apart. I only pulled part of it and put it back in the oven to rest some more. After another hour resting it came apart a lot better. It was definitely good!

Next, maybe brisket?

Is there a ball park time per pound for the chuckys? I did one last week and made the same mistake of pulling it too soon. Now I know better :). Looks good anyhow.

I just went by what I had seen posted about pulling it off around 200 degrees. Next time i may take it to about 210-215 and rest for two hours.

Back