THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

71-South

is Blowin Smoke!
OK, I put the new CS-570 to work today. We're getting ready to retire the chitty digital camera in a couple of weeks when I get the wifey a digital SLR camera for her birthday. Hang with me on the carpy pics.

Started out w/ a breakfast fatty for tomorrow morning. JD Italian sausage w/ a sprinkle of turbinado sugar, some eggs, and a buttload of cheese.

cs570-bfast-fatty-041109.jpg

I knew I was going to do a brisket overnight tonight, so I needed something to cook during the day while I worked on getting better w/ controlling the new smoker. Picked up some cheap drummies at Price Chopper. I'm out of Yardbird (working on it), so I used Gates seasoning on one side of them and KC Masterpiece on the other. Basted w/ Sweet Baby Ray's original. They were delicious, but next time I do them, I'll crank the temp up for the last part of the cook to see if I can crisp up the skin a bit more.

cs570-drummies-041109.jpg

Now I'm on to the brisket. Injected w/ a weakened mixture of apple juice and Butchers. Rubbed w/ Bovine Bold. Here it is after an hour.

cs570-brisket-1-hr-041109-1.jpg

...and here it is at 6 hrs. I may or may not foil it. We'll see. I'll try to post more pics later, but we'll see how tired and stupid I am when it's done.

cs-570-brisket-6-hr-040809.jpg

Finally, my 2-year old decided it would be lots of fun to pour his chocolate milk on my platesetter. So, I give you the chocolate milksetter. I'm agonna have to burn that off soon. Hmm...

milksetter2-041109.jpg

It's wrapped - snug as a bug in a rug. I'm going to sleep for a few hours, then check on it. Since I don't have the digital control panel for the CS yet, and it's getting a little chilly outside, I'm gonna finish it in the oven at 220°. It's plateaued at 145° for now.

It's wrapped - snug as a bug in a rug. I'm going to sleep for a few hours, then check on it. Since I don't have the digital control panel for the CS yet, and it's getting a little chilly outside, I'm gonna finish it in the oven at 220°. It's plateaued at 145° for now.

Did you say OVEN? Oh My!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did say oven, but only after 8+ hrs. in the smoker. I really need to get the digital board for the CS-570. It's hard to dial in a temp and keep it there w/ the floor model - especially when the temp drops outside. Plus, to do a true overnight on the thing, I think I need the hopper extender.

Set the alarm for 4:45 a.m. Woke up at 7:00 a.m. Brisket was at 195 and probe slid in like Parkay. Rested for 2 1/2 hours, then sliced. Got a pretty decent smoke ring. Brisket is nice and moist, but I'm not sure if that comes across in the picture. I wish I'd woken up an hour earlier as it's a little "fall aparty". It tastes really good, though.

cs570-brisket-sliced-041209.jpg

Cubed the point (what would stay in cubes anyway), tossed w/ some more Bovine Bold and some Sweet Baby Rays and now it's going back in the smoker in a foil pan w/ holes in the bottom.

cs570-burnt-ends-041209.jpg

Back