THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

frayedend

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Jim
I've got the LSG 20X42. Previously I had an OKJ Highland and just used charcoal and wood chunks.

Now I want to use all wood. In about a year I'll be all set as I have lots of oak on my new property that I'm starting to cut and split. But it will need a while to season.

I've searched Craigslist, Facebook market place, etc. No luck. The firewood places can't say what mix of wood they have. It's most likely a lot of oak but could have crap wood like poplar or black locust. Plus they want to see it by the cord and I have no need for that much as a weekend BBQer.

I do have the charcoal S basket. I'm gonna see how it goes and maybe just stick with that this year. Any other suggestions for finding seasoned split wood?

Get to know a tree service guy. They trim out standing dead wood often, that would be seasoned. Meet them at a job site. Buy or get free, if you load it yourself. You could then cut to your preferred length and split it yourself.
Maybe it would get you by until your own stock seasons.

Maybe reach out to fellow brethren in the classifieds, someone local probably has a stash at home you can buy enough of to get you through for a couple years until your stacks are ready.

I spent the day splitting and stacking wood for the 2022 season.

HaeJJL8l.jpg

Been struggling myself until yesterday when talking to my uncle during Easter and I can grab an apple and cherry tree from him. Has some logs of each already cut which I can split and use right away. Also has some other land with red oak. So I may have struck a lil gold mine. Just need to get a chainsaw and splitter.

Lots of places selling wood, but it's all mixed unfortunately.

Is any maple tree a "sugar maple"? Lots of them here, just don't know if all are the same?

You might also try talking to any restaurants that have a wood fired oven and see if they will point you to someone.

You can buy kiln dried online in a pinch to get you through ... western wood mini logs work and I keep some around as backup for when my local stuff dries up ... ive bought through cabelas and sportsman’s warehouse - if one near you you can order a bunch and go pick up or look for best/free shipping.

I’ve used their hickory oak and mesquite a bunch. Get local fruitwoods and some oak but this time of year a lot less of it on Craigslist’s etc

Been struggling myself until yesterday when talking to my uncle during Easter and I can grab an apple and cherry tree from him. Has some logs of each already cut which I can split and use right away. Also has some other land with red oak. So I may have struck a lil gold mine. Just need to get a chainsaw and splitter.

Lots of places selling wood, but it's all mixed unfortunately.

Is any maple tree a "sugar maple"? Lots of them here, just don't know if all are the same?

Maple could be sugar maple, red maple, or maybe Norway maple. Sugar maple is best as it is denser and will make better coals, but any of them will work o.k.

Well I posted on Facebook in a few different yardsale sites. Found some oak, seasoned 2 years. Not cheap at 2.25 per square foot. I've never bought it before so I'm not really sure if that's pricey or not. I think that's almost $300 per cord but I'm not buying that much. It will do for now. Gonna go pick it up this weekend.

Howdy, neighbor!

This is the main reason I never went with an offset. I live a mile from an apple orchard and still couldn't find local splits regularly enough to feed one.

There are lots of tree trimming/removal companies in the area. You could check with them to see if they process and sell splits in the quantities you're looking for.

Thanks for the tips. The online places are simply too expensive for stick burning all day. But I think I'm covered. If I can grab enough for this year I'll definitely be all set later.

I really don’t understand why it’s so hard out here. I know it doesn’t have the bbq tradition of the south but but we’re sitting in the middle of one of the most densely forested parts of the country, a lot of which is hardwood.

Thanks for the tips. The online places are simply too expensive for stick burning all day. But I think I'm covered. If I can grab enough for this year I'll definitely be all set later.

Care to share your solution? I'm literally one town away from you so it could very well influence my next cooker purchase.

Cheers!

Care to share your solution? I'm literally one town away from you so it could very well influence my next cooker purchase.

Cheers!

I mentioned a few posts up that I posted in Facebook yardsale sites. A guy messaged me and has 2 year seasoned split oak. He's charging me 2.25 per cubic foot. I'm going to buy a bit this Saturday. He's just a guy with some extra wood. So I don't know that he will be an ongoing source. I only cook every few weeks. I'll see what he has and update you after Saturday if it's something that could help out others.

These guys almost always have a small pile of hickory for sale. Pretty cheap too.

Brown & Parsons Earth Products LLC
No reviews · Landscaping supply store
Chelmsford, MA
(978) 256-7551

Brown & Parsons Earth Products LLC

These guys took care of me http://www.woodfellasct.com/index.html ... bought 1/4 cord Hickory, 1/4 cord Cherry and 1/4 cord Red Oak...Think I paid $220 or so last year...little pricey, but not bad for getting the mix. They have apple and pretty much any other variety you could want. Doubt they would deliver to MA, but you never know....or if you have your own means of picking up....

I also scooped up some sugar maple off craigslist and apple from a neighbor that had some trees come down (free)....doesn't help you, but keep poking on craigslist, lots of free wood around.

If you want to take a ride...Belltown Orchards in Glastonbury CT also has racks of fruit wood for sale (all the time)...$20 per rack, (2) is about enough to fill up a 6ft tacoma bed.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

Yeah, so this was just an old guy that uses wood to heat his garage when he works on cars. He just cut a bunch of fresh stuff and wanted to get rid of some of his 2 year old stuff. I pretty much took all he had to get rid of. So not an ongoing source.

Back