My woodpile is in bad shape

Killa J

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Josh
Last year I got a half cord of oak to use for cooking. It ended up being somewhat low quality, so I’m going to use a different supplier next time. But I can’t seem to keep my woodpile dry enough to keep mildew, other fungi, and tons of insects out. I had read that the pile shouldn’t be covered completely, so I put a sheet metal roof over the top of the wood rack. It did rain significantly more than usual this year, but the remaining logs are going to end up as camping and firepit wood.

Will a full cover with air vents keep the rain out but allow enough airflow? I want to get another half cord from a place that advertises as bbq wood, but it’s a bit more expensive. I don’t want a repeat of this time, I have a little less than 1/4 cord of basically worthless wood.

^ This and a larger cover to keep it dry without sealing it up.

You can build three sides with pallets or similar and a top that has enough overhang to keep dry. Don't tarp it.

If your woodpile is in the yard I would suggest buying some granular insecticide and spread around the woodpile a coupe times a year (do it right before it rains). I do this with inexpensive granular from Walmart and use an old rub shaker bottle to apply it. Works great and no bugs.

All good ideas. I think I’ll relocate it to a sunnier spot and with the back close to a wooden fence. Right now it’s pretty much under a tree and open on all sides. The bug granules is a great idea too, I got eaten up by ants today when I went to check on it.

Once the wood has seasoned, the best way to keep it sound for long periods of time is to keep it in an indoor space with a floor. But that's not practical for most people. When you live in a humid climate and you have to store your wood outdoors, usually your best bet is to only buy what you'll burn within a year's time.

Back