THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I suppose this is more a question of :

"do you prepare food to make your guests happy or do you prepare food
that you believe will taste the best no matter what?"

Maybe I am a bad host, but I generally cook things the way I think they should be done. If people ask why I do it that way, I'm not mean or anything, I simply explain why. I do not like deviating too much, as I feel when I am cooking I am putting a piece of myself out there, preparing something that I view as substandard I feel would be misrepresenting myself.

thankfully when people come to eat my food, they come to eat my food, so I rarely have this problem.... but it does happen from time to time, and I prefer to be pretty unyielding. I prefer to get people to open themselves to something... new.... it's much more satisfying.

That being said, I normally stick to things that aren't argued over for larger crowd. IE brisket, pork butt, pork belly, roast chicken, braises.. etc. I don't know what the big deal with ribs are over, I experiment with them quite a bit, people always eat that up. But if I am doing something that people tend to have a variety of preferences on what "done" is, like say, steak.. I cook something with a variable thickness. Tri-tip is wonderful for this. There is a piece of meat for everybody there. I also do top sirloin, although even in thickness, it's big enough that there is going to be some variability in how it cooks.

Maybe I'm kind of jerk, but hey I'd much rather have somebody say "man, that guy wouldn't do this for me, he is kind of a jerk" then say "man, his food kind of sucks"

I'm with you. The only thing I'll cook to order are steaks. Otherwise they eat what I put in front of them or they go elsewhere. No complaints. yet. :)

Yes I do. After cooking a couple of times for some hoity toity friends who insist on eating the ribs with a fork and knife, when cooking for them. I peel the membrane and slice over the rib bone so I can remove the bones then slice the " rack" into portions like a "macrib" they love them.

I like to cook my ribs 1/2 way inbetween.. falling off the bone they turn out more like ham than ribs..lol I like to cook mine till the meat starts pulling back a BIT from the tips.. then finish them off. NOT a 6 hour cook.. more like a 2-3 hr job. BUT to each their own!!

As for cooking to "please the guests" SCREW the guests..then aint buying the food..LOL used to cook the ribroast Medium to make the g/f happy..what a WASTE.. started cooking it Med/rare.. more on the rare side..and MORE people were happy. Told her if she wanted it cooked med to med well..YOU BUY THE MEAT lol
Brent

OK now.. NOT talking about steaks.. do YOU buy a $40 rib roast and OVERCOOK it for the guests??? Dont think so LOL You can always M/wave it if they want is over cooked.. Ribs are merely a matter of choice..and NEVER had a complaint.. just people wanting to come back for more.

Don't care for ribs that fall apart when handled,if that's what we're saying...Would probably rather have a little tough than too soft,ut that's just my preference.

brickie

I am cooking for my daughter's birthday in a few weeks with several younger kids. I will indeed push for the back side of the "competition peak." I have screwed that up years ago with foil and had ribs that turned into a pile of pulled pork so there is always a limit to everything.

Why have guest then?????

There are lots of things I don't ask my guests about when I invite them over. This stuff about fall off the bone vs. competition style ribs is like splitting hairs. Ain't like we're serving em raccoon. If folks on this site are cooking ribs for their guests, I'd say their guests are probably getting some of the best ribs they've ever eaten (even if they do or do not fall off the bone).

OK now.. NOT talking about steaks.. do YOU buy a $40 rib roast and OVERCOOK it for the guests??? Dont think so LOL You can always M/wave it if they want is over cooked.. Ribs are merely a matter of choice..and NEVER had a complaint.. just people wanting to come back for more.

Sounds about right.

Ribs ain't steaks.

Some folks simply won't eat a red/pink steak. Never met a person that wouldn't eat what most folks around here would consider to be cooked to "competition standards."

Having said all that, I know my mama likes em to fall off the bone. Therefore, I have been known to try to make my mama happy (she's pretty much the only person that has ever said anything about preferring her ribs to fall off the bone...nobody else has even mentioned it).

Back