THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jsperk

Babbling Farker
Made some pizza Friday. Not many pics of the pies. Got a late start and it was 9:00 p.m. when we were eating dinner.

Also I was worried about eye round. I read its tough and not much flavor.

I was real happy with eye round. Cooked on the rotisserie, rubbed with black ops rub. Added some onions, mushrooms and cheese and some mayo, with a pickled egg on the side.

One other note. I got a new slicer. Our friends son is selling Cutco knives. I had no intentions of buying one but my wife said I should get the slicer.

I was worried I read good reviews and some bad ones. I always used cheap knives not very sharp. I could not believe the difference using this. I may have over paid in my opinion for a knife but I couldn't be happy with it. So the price is easier to take since I like it a lot.

Sorry for the pics. My lighting stinks in the kitchen. If I try no flash it's not great, if I use flash sometimes it makes it to bright. You can see a difference from the same two pics and I wasn't happy with either.

Ok, this is probably a dumb question, but why is that picked egg so purple? Is it just the light? Is this something that is different and also delicious from other pickled eggs???

Seriously...i'm kinda a sucker for good pickled eggs...especially if they have been pickled in brine that was previously used for jalapeno pickling and are nice and spicy.

That's the real color. I never had any other kind of pickled egg. Jalapeno one sounds good.
These are soaked in beets and beet juice and vinegar and sugar. I'm not sure of the exact recipe, my mom always makes me a batch when she does them.
I should find out she makes them so I can make them when ever I want. They are awesome.

That's the real color. I never had any other kind of pickled egg. Jalapeno one sounds good.
These are soaked in beets and beet juice and vinegar and sugar. I'm not sure of the exact recipe, my mom always makes me a batch when she does them.
I should find out she makes them so I can make them when ever I want. They are awesome.

...and that's why it's purple

Can you taste the beet? I'm not a huge beet fan, but my mother always makes pickled beets. I actually hate them. I have a jar of them in my fridge right now that has never been opened, I just have it in there so when she visits she does not supply me with another jar (that I will not eat, but cannot refuse). I literally could just take out the beets and put boiled eggs in the brine instead. Good idea?

Also, if you like spicy...do the jalapeno eggs. They are awesome. Fill up a jar with sliced jalapenos, put in half vinegar and half water until the jar is full. Pinch of salt and pinch of sugar. Let that set for a week, then transfer jap's to another jar with the same, reserve the original brine and fill it with eggs. Awesome with a good beer.

Can you taste the beet? I'm not a huge beet fan, but my mother always makes pickled beets. I actually hate them. I have a jar of them in my fridge right now that has never been opened, I just have it in there so when she visits she does not supply me with another jar (that I will not eat, but cannot refuse). I literally could just take out the beets and put boiled eggs in the brine instead. Good idea?

Also, if you like spicy...do the jalapeno eggs. They are awesome. Fill up a jar with sliced jalapenos, put in half vinegar and half water until the jar is full. Pinch of salt and pinch of sugar. Let that set for a week, then transfer jap's to another jar with the same, reserve the original brine and fill it with eggs. Awesome with a good beer.

I will have to try some jalapeno ones.

More vinegar taste. I wont eat the beets in the jar with them. My wife will eat those. If you like I can get a recipe. At least the ingredients used. My parents never use recipes, they just throw stuff in and always comes out great.

Back