Extended Active Brisket Hold Experiment In Progress!

I have been doing similar in a turkey roaster with pretty good results. I prefer it over the oven in the kitchen because I can do it outside and not consume the whole house with brisket smells (sounds great but it overpowering).

Only thing I didn't follow on your thread is cook time. You cooked 9lb trimmed brisket in 6 hrs at 275?

yes keeping the brisket out of the oven is a plus. I love the smell for the first few hours but eventually it enough.

I think the best part of the turkey roaster is that the small space creates a nice humid environment for holding

I did an extended active hold brisket myself this weekend. I put a 12lb post trim brisket in my Primo at 265* at midnight, then wrapped it around 7 AM at 278* and pulled off the grill at 9:30 when the internal temp was 207*. It wasn’t probing perfectly but I imagine it’d have been there within an hour or so. I had to run out so I put it wrapped in butcher paper into an aluminum pan covered in foil then into the Alto Shaam at 142*. A couple hours later it was at 200* and hit as low as 165* at 4 PM. I pulled it from the warmer and let it sit on the counter venting the foil until I served it around 6 PM and it had dropped to just over 140*. Was probably still a shade warmer than I’d like when slicing but the texture, moisture content, and bark were just about perfect.

I like the warmer quite a bit, it’s another tool in the toolbox, and adds some flexibility to cooking, timelines, and pulling a brisket across the finish line. Had it been perfectly probe tender when I pulled it out of the cooker I would definitely have bled off some of the heat before going into the warmer.

Your point looks on point :thumb:

Nice job all! Killer experiment.........I might have to warm up my turkey roaster this weekend....

Reading through this thread was really interesting. I usually cook my briskets and then let them cool on the counter to 145deg before slicing. If I need to hold a little longer it goes in the cooler. I tried something different this time...

-Brisket went on the smoker Saturday 12pm.
-Pulled it off Saturday night 11:30pm.
-Let it cool on the counter to 160deg and then put it in a 22qt Roaster oven, which I had bought the day before.
-Set the toaster oven to 145deg and put the brisket in on a wire rack. It was still in wrapped in butchers paper from the cook.
-Got plenty of sleep!
-It held great in the toaster oven set at 145deg till Sunday 2pm. Meat IT was 145deg when I took it out.

It was fantastic. Came out great. I really loved not having to worry too much about the timing of the cook and guests arriving. This was around a 12hr hold in the toaster oven.

I’m breaking out the toaster oven and do as you did. Hopefully comes out as well as yours

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Back