THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

RamHemiTX

Knows what a fatty is.
Let me start by saying I have been frying Turkey for 15 years. I usually do four or five a year. My family has always loved fried turkey, but my mother wanted something different for her birthday this year. I have smoked turkeys in the past, but they were always just OK compared to my fried turkey. I decided I was going to try a few new things this time and it really paid off. I am almost certain I will never fry another turkey again...

I started off with a 24 hour brine for my 14 pound bird. I used a Home Depot 5 gallon bucket with about a gallon of hot water. I added a cup of kosher salt, a cup of granulated sugar, and 1 cup of my homemade rub that I use on everything I smoke. I stirred everything in until it was dissolved. Then I dropped in the bird and added ice cold water until it was about an inch from covering the top of the bird. I packed the rest of the bucket with ice, and put the lid on, wrapped it in towels and forgot about it.

So cook time comes around. My target temp was 350°. I loaded the basket up with KBB, and a bunch of apple wood chunks. I lit about a half a chimney of briqs and dumped it on top. While it was preheating, I turned my attention to the bird.

I pulled the bird from the brine, drained, rinsed, and wiped it dry. I then stuffed it with a huge yellow onion (skinned and quartered), 3 cloves of elephant garlic (skinned and halved), and a Fuji apple (quartered, skin left on), and about 1/3 cup of my rub. Then I tied the legs and wings in tight and let it sit out while the UDS got heated up.

I was in a little of a time crunch, so I put the bird on when the temp got to about 250°. I had forgotten to pick up a tin, so I just put it right on the grate. I finally found my phone about 20 minutes later and took a few pics.

8086062897_ca8e199650.jpg
8086062411_588d0f730f.jpg

I used my ET-732 to monitor temps while mowing the grass (had the receiver hooked onto the riding mower... Two hours into the cook, the wife came back home from Wally World with my roaster pan so I dropped the bird in it. About 2 hours later (4 hours total cook time), the breast reached 165°. I pulled the bird and put it in the oven inside to chill while we prepared the side dishes.

I don't believe in wasting good meat and I am pretty handy with an electric knife. Here is the before and after...

8086061993_28b3ea879a.jpg
8086061135_f0a73c31a7.jpg

I was having to go after folks fingers with the electric knife to keep them out of the meat while I was cutting. They were eating it almost as fast as I could cut it off the carcass. Once it was cut up, we dished it up and dug in. I cannot even begin to say how tasty this thing was. I am a sauce guy, and I used no sauce. The turkey was perfectly juicy and the apple flavor really came through. After we ate, I caught my sister in law picking at the carcass looking for just one more bite...

8086059630_77236f283f.jpg

Sorry for the long drawn out story, but I just had to share. I know how the Thanksgiving bird will be cooked this year!!! I might not ever have to buy a $25 jug of oil again, which leaves more money for whiskey and beer! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

8086062897_ca8e199650.jpg
][img]

Looks AWESOME! Having had both fried & smoked turkey I have to say both are good in their own way, but given a choice it will always be a brined/smoked bird every time... Cheers!!!

Back