THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WEBER!!!

I have the 22.5 WSM and an 18 WSM along with a 22.5 OTG kettle...can never go wrong with anything Weber.

I'm sorry if this has already been asked, but I'm struggling on which smoker to buy. I was leaning towards a Masterbuilt electric smoker, but after doing some research online I'm really liking the Weber smokey mountain.

Been there, done that with 3 Masterbuilt electric smokers. :mad2:
Go with Weber Smokey Mountain.
Get a BBQ IQ and you will have stable heat.
MB is a bad brand. :twisted:

I have a Bradley Smoker.....it was my first dedicated smoker and now is gathering dust. I got the bug and now have 10 cookers including that Bradley as I asked for it and got it as a birthday present. My go-to cookers, my main 4.....are 2 OTG 22.5 Kettles, a Akorn and my 5 week old 22.5 WSM. Cooked one of my best butts yesterday on the WSM....did maybe 10 butts on the Bradley a year and a half ago and comparing the products is a joke. Your Masterbuilt burns chips and that is better than the pucks you gotta buy for the Bradley but chunks are a whole new balegame. At least my Bradley has a nice Jim Beam logo on it I can look at.

Also as stated previously.....buying a Weber is always a good thing.

i went through the same decision process last June and went with the 18 WSM. Without a doubt it was the right move,at least for me. The only regret was not getting the 22...

I had a gasser and wanted a smoker. I am not mechanically inclined enough to build my own. I made a lot of ash trays in shop classes. :mrgreen:

I looked at all types of smokers to buy and finally settled on the 22.5 WSM. After a few mods on it to create a fire basket / grate stand, I can use it to cook anything from seared steaks to smoked briskets / butts / ribs.

Very happy with my purchase, but my gasser is getting a little lonely. Only fire her up to light my charcoal...

WSM with a BBQ IQ 110....all the flavor with a set it and forget it.

I started out on a master built electric. Bought a wsm 8 months later. Fast forward 2 years and I only used the electric for cheese and overnight cooks a few times, and the wsm gets more use than the Mbs ever did.

It broke this winter, and I honestly don't care to fix or replace it with another.

I'm going Pit Barrel instead!

In short, get the wsm.

Its damn cold in the north and I had both the masterbuilt and the bradley, I live 4 miles from bass pro, both smokers were useless in the cold around the end of oct, so I bought the 22.5 wsm and now i can use it all winter in a snow storm, so far this winter we got sum 76.8 inches of snow,

I've used both and own a WSM. Hands down I would go with a WSM. Besides the 10 year warranty, the WSM is very easy to use. They will hold temps for hours with little to no adjustments. I own the 22.5" and cooked on my brother 18.5" and it is every bit and consistent on temps and a little easier on fuel.

You will get a flavor on the WSM that you can't replicate on an electric smoker with the added benefit of a bigger temperature range to cook with.

I pretty much agree with the others above. In making your decision, you need to consider other factors in addition to the flavor advantage of a WSM, that are unique to your situation. Time, is an issue with me, so most of the time I can't tend to a wood/charcoal smoker, unfortunately. So the set it and forget it advantage of my MES works well. No, the quality is probably not as good a WSM, all things being equal. But if your preparation methods and techniques are good, then your end product will be good with a MES, bottom line.

Back