Drum score!

Those look like they would be great UDS's. I wish I could get my hands on one, I look forward to watching your progress.

snip- Thanks BigMista for that link. I have another 55 gal that needs a little tlc too. Hope to complete Drums #2 and #3 this weekend.
What link exactly??? I've got a overpack drum on tap and I can't find a grate anywhere so I was thinking to use it as outside dropping a 45 gallon (Imperial) in it and filling between with a fire concrete mix. But if there is grills big enough to take advantage I might change my mind.

Diver, where did you score on the 85 gallon drums and do they have any more. I live in Wilson, not too far from you and would love to get my hands on a few of them.

What link exactly??? I've got a overpack drum on tap and I can't find a grate anywhere so I was thinking to use it as outside dropping a 45 gallon (Imperial) in it and filling between with a fire concrete mix. But if there is grills big enough to take advantage I might change my mind.

FYI, here are the 85 gallon drum dims (at least from this manufacturer/dealer):

Image43.gif

http://www.myerscontainer.com/drumpage/mccsalvagedrum.htm

So, if you used that 24.5" grate, you could maybe just jam together a couple extra nuts on the grate support bolts build a spacer to keep the grate centered. As it is, there'd only be a 3/4" gap between the grate and the wall. Very nice! I might go that route too, if the 85-gallon looks like a good idea. I'd like the extra grill area, those grates are cheap, and I need to buy some .40 S&W from Sportsman's Guide anyway, so I'll grab a couple of grates while I'm at it. ;-)

Of course, the other option is to just cut a grate out of a piece of expanded steel sheet... nah.

-Rodney

We tried to create as much of an assembly line as possible- 1st step we took was measuring 2 inches up from the bottom, marking with grease pencil, center punching our marks, drilling some pilot holes, then using step bit to drill 1 inch holes
SAFETY:icon_pissed

Diver, where did you score on the 85 gallon drums and do they have any more. I live in Wilson, not too far from you and would love to get my hands on a few of them.

I think this may have been a one time score, but I'll let you know if any more become available.

I think this may have been a one time score, but I'll let you know if any more become available.

As you may have deduced, KGB is the buddy I mentioned in the original post. Also, a great teammate. If all goes well, The Soundside Smokers will be bringing an army of drums to comps this year.

are you guys sure there is a coating in them?
i just picked one of these brand new and they said they are not coated with any thing. maybe a light oil from making them.

ON THE FARM said:
i just picked one of these brand new and they said they are not coated with any thing. maybe a light oil from making them.

Here's what I did to check for a thin coating on what looked like bare steel: get a multimeter, set it to continuity check mode, and lightly touch the probes to the surface. If it has a significant coating on it, it shouldn't conduct electricity, but if it's bare steel, the meter should see continuity.

-r

How much was it new? I've been on the lookout locally for a used drum with no luck yet. I'm considering just getting a new one. Any idea where's a good source to get one new, shipped and cheap?

Nice score KGB.

Looks like some good old soap and water are all that those drums need. Great score!

What type of business uses those sized drums? If I knew where to look, I might be able to scrounge some up in the Memphis area.

Thanks.

here are some more pics

Attachments

• IMAG0001.jpg
    IMAG0001.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 155
  • IMAG0006-1.jpg
    IMAG0006-1.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 155
Looks like some good old soap and water are all that those drums need. Great score!

What type of business uses those sized drums? If I knew where to look, I might be able to scrounge some up in the Memphis area.

Thanks.

Based on the research I did, 85 gallon drums are also called "overwrap drums" because a 55 gallon drum is often placed inside the drum. They're kept on hand in case a 55-gallon drum springs a leak and needs to be overwrapped (hence the term "salvage drum"), and are also used proactively if an especially hazardous material is being transported and a double wall of protection is desired. I don't think many commercial materials are transported directly in these drums, but I could be wrong.

Based on the research I did, 85 gallon drums are also called "overwrap drums" because a 55 gallon drum is often placed inside the drum. They're kept on hand in case a 55-gallon drum springs a leak and needs to be overwrapped (hence the term "salvage drum"), and are also used proactively if an especially hazardous material is being transported and a double wall of protection is desired. I don't think many commercial materials are transported directly in these drums, but I could be wrong.

Check environmental clean up companies in your area.

Got these from a fellow who worked for a shipping company - he told me that someone had shipped ethanol in gallon jugs inside the drums and the drums were left over from that. So, shipping companies might be another source for these.

Of the 5 barrels we got, 3 of us scrubbed them out real well with steel wool and soapy water and 2 of us did the standard burn. 2 cooks on 2 barrels that were scrubbed have produced some fine Que and no rust inhibitor aftertaste and most importantly, no fatalities ;)

More pics coming soon.

Back