THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I had my eye on an Old Country Brazos for a long time until i realized Academy cannot ship out to California. I found a used Horizon Marshall in great condition on Facebook; I saved a ton. Facebook has a few dedicated used bbq smoker pages you can subscribe to. Check it out :)

Good, cheap stick burners do not exist, unless you run across someone desperate to move a used one due to emergency need of money.

The cheapest stick burner I'd feel comfortable buying would be a Jambo Backyard. About 3K, shipped.

The best value in smoking is in barrel cookers (sometimes referred to as "UDS", or "Ugly Drum Smokers"). Barrel cookers are relatively cheap, easy to use, and can have large capacity.

Jambo for stick burners. Go for the best. Jambo. No other stick burner can touch them for consistent satisfaction of customers.

Last edited:
This smoker is a great unit for the money. This guy will work with you to include whatever you want. His steel is first quality and the Fab is very good. Click on to my profile and look at some pictures.

Check out the Dyna Glo Signature Series Vertical Offset. It used to be called the Brinkmann Trailmaster. Or you know, you could get a Bandera.

Been awhile since I posted here, but I've been asking myself this same question. I've considered a Horizon or Old Country, but my budget can allow for something like a Shirley 24 x 36, so I just emailed Shirley to see what the lead time is right now and how much shipping would be.

I've got a Weber kettle and a Grilla Silverbac, both of which I love, but for beef and pork ribs, I really have found that I like a wood-fired flavor. I have played around with that on the Weber, to the extent I can, and it's just better to me. The Grilla has so many other uses that I'm not worried about keeping it and an offset. The weber may go eventually but one extra grill isn't the worst problem in the world.

I do have a friend who can weld really well, so I may look into that DIY kit just posted, seems intriguing.

Been awhile since I posted here, but I've been asking myself this same question. I've considered a Horizon or Old Country, but my budget can allow for something like a Shirley 24 x 36, so I just emailed Shirley to see what the lead time is right now and how much shipping would be.

I've got a Weber kettle and a Grilla Silverbac, both of which I love, but for beef and pork ribs, I really have found that I like a wood-fired flavor. I have played around with that on the Weber, to the extent I can, and it's just better to me. The Grilla has so many other uses that I'm not worried about keeping it and an offset. The weber may go eventually but one extra grill isn't the worst problem in the world.

I do have a friend who can weld really well, so I may look into that DIY kit just posted, seems intriguing.

Todd if you want to see a Shirley hands on let me know, be glad to show you one of our's so you can see the build quality were in South Bend.

+ 1 vote for getting a high quality stick burner out of the gates.

I went with a new $1200 local fab unit a couple years ago just to make sure I really liked a “stick burner” and they are hard to beat if you have the time and access to reasonably priced/free Wood. I chose this over a Yoder pellet. So happy I went stickburner first.

I liked it so much I snagged the first Shirley I could find and haven’t looked back. One of my best buds is enjoying my other stickburner. Both were great but the Shirley is awesome.

If you have access to wood and the free time AND like messing with fire you won’t regret dropping the money on a high quality stick burner.

Good, cheap stick burners do not exist, unless you run across someone desperate to move a used one due to emergency need of money.

The cheapest stick burner I'd feel comfortable buying would be a Jambo Backyard. About 3K, shipped.

The best value in smoking is in barrel cookers (sometimes referred to as "UDS", or "Ugly Drum Smokers"). Barrel cookers are relatively cheap, easy to use, and can have large capacity.

Jambo for stick burners. Go for the best. Jambo. No other stick burner can touch them for consistent satisfaction of customers.

:twitch: ....... :roll:
I do Agree DIY UDS is Best Bang for Buck and Best Beginner Smoker- I've had several.......

What is relatively cheap in mind? People can suggest a 1000 different brands and models, but if we dont know how much you want to spend, we're all wasting time.

What is relatively cheap in mind? People can suggest a 1000 different brands and models, but if we dont know how much you want to spend, we're all wasting time.
Good question. Someone else pointed out earlier I didn't give a budget. I was looking at the Lan 48" Patio. That's around $2k, so I was hoping less than that, but would still leave money left over to put towards and upgrade in a year if I liked a stick burner.

If strictly wanting an offset stick burner around that price, it seems you cannot beat a Shirley patio from what everyone says (I haven’t cooked on one). I believe at Louis bbq store recently got some in stock?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

There are quite a few manufactures with quality stick burners smaller and cheaper than a Jambo Backyard. Do you work for them? :roll:

The answer to the original poster's question is unfortunately likely no.

Quality costs money.

If quality stick burners of the calibre of Lang, etc., could be had for "relatively cheap", then I'd probably own one.....No, I'd definitely own one.

Last edited:
qldIo3Al.jpg

KXnW9iTl.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v8YJx-a1DQo

use the removable water pan OR leave tail uncapped with a catch can....................

dNQmewfl.jpg

Last edited:
After looking around I think I like the Shirley 24x42 patio. I'm thinking what I'll do is put in an order and the deposit, then for the 2 year/20 month wait I'll use that to save up the money.

I'll probably give them a call tomorrow.

Back