THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Do you use lighter fluid?

• Total voters
Used to until I learned how well the chiminey works, plus no cost for LF, just use the throw away paper we get once a week with the ads.

i have a cinder block pit. i dont use any charcoal. so i start with newspaper and twigs and small sticks. then once burning i put logs on (like a campfire). however sometimes the fire burns out at the begining and its a B**CH to get going again so sometimes ill squirt fluid on it to get the logs to catch nicely. but once the fire is roaring i also let the fire burn about 1 hour before i even put the top on my smoker. and then the food about 15 minutes after the lid goes on. so i really doubt that it affects the taste at all.

-pCX9ODduvKoWOoV7ZSGZNLSu3EkhGdTGOYtb0_js7ks-Ejk59EENIJoWBT14njaXUSvAP28stGKR8ROgLcEY-fCdo-o---GCeU=s512

RZnXugWqml1xDoneaTdCIxLiVj_pQsZig93vQikDOz9uzoABDwvmKI1LEcfYM8clceY4jzZEbQRHLot5hwtL-Ej_eX2E1xRPMag=s512

I used it before I came here and learned the right way to do things. I don't even like to use period whether its a campfire or anything. Rutland brand firestarters for me or my swedish fire steel (bad arse)

NEVER use lighter fluid in the BGE... the porous surface of the ceramic will absorb the chemical taste...
I know Myron uses it, and it seems to work for him, but then again, he's not using a BGE

Use Chimney's here! Started out with one first, filled chimney to the top with Kingsford blue charcoal and it seemed like forever for it to get ready (white). I decided to get another one and fill both "half full"...cut my waiting time in half.

I use a weed buner..........500,000 btu's of fire starter ...... bty/imo- its about the only good use of/for propane that know of.........

Lighter fluid is very tasty on chicken. Gives it just the right amount of heat.:bow::crazy::heh:

I do, but I use a squirrel cage blower to heat the coals after they get going like a forge. Never had any bad tastes, as I believe the intense heat burns it all off. I can be ready to cook in about 15-20 minutes from a cold grill. I see that I am definitely in the minority though.

First time-feel guilty, but could not get my chimney started (Pam-sprayed newspaper, too) & I was running late-threw it on the chimney, dumped the coals 10 min. later, & everyone enjoyed the chicken & ribs....

I use a chimney or an electric wand.

For lighting the chimney, I use those paper rags you get in the paint section of Home Depot/Lowes. Works much better than newspaper.

I would not, have not, and shall NEVER use lighter fluid if I'm going to BBQ. I don't need to use it for my Performer, don't need it if I'm at home.
However- I go to a lot of Brewers games and tailgate quite often. For that, I generally use my Smokey Joe. For simplicity sake, I take a small can of lighter fluid with me to light the KF coals. (I would not use lighter fluid on lump charcoal).
Plus- if ya have extra fluid at a tailgate it'll usually get ya a beer or two as someone near you will always forget theirs.
I don't marinate my meats in the lighter fluid so I don't taste it when I eat.
When I do actually purchase lighter fluid it is only Kingsford.

I used to. I just bought a chimney and used it for the first time this weekend. I was amazed at how fast and even it lit the briquets. Not going back to fluid any time soon.

Back