THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biloxidman

is One Chatty Farker
And if you do how do you smoke the trimmed meat? I got a full rack of spare ribs, because that’s all there was. Usually I get baby backs and occasionally St Louis cuts and smoke them the same way, 1.5-2 hours bare, 1 hour wrapped with a 1/2 cup of red wine, the 15 minutes or so out of the foil. Always come out how we like them. Recommendations?

I always take the breastbone off (if it isn't already), take off the skirt and do a trim around for shaping. I used to trim much less but now I just try to visualize what would make the best end product. I use the trim for other things so it's not wasted. Just did 6 racks of spares and traded with buddies for goods. The skirts & trim were smoked and ended up simmering away with some beans before being smoked again. Made for a killer side.

If cook for just me and wife*. No
If cooking to give away, yes

And that’s most of the time

I usually do babybacks, but have been trying to up my spares game lately.

The last rack of spares I did, I trimmed to a St. Louis cut which yielded 2# of meat that went into a vac bag for the next sausage run.

Edit: Added before and after pics. I think this little piggy was hit by a train! :shock:

Last edited:
I usually butterfly the tips and remove the cartilage to use the meat for sausage grind, but if I do leave the tips intact I usually wrap at some point with some liquid for a braise like you. I find it helps to get a texture that I like better than smoking unwrapped the whole time.

Sometimes I'll trim down to a STL cut. If I do, I save the cutoff, when I have a few saved up, it's rib tip time... Mmmm...

Thanks for all the replies. I think I’ll trim and smoke the trimmings then wrap earlier than the ribs. I don’t have a grinder for sausage but might save some for beans. Since our golf course is still open I might walk 9 or 18 this afternoon. I figure 2 hours for the front 9 then stop at the house for wrapping.

I trim them St Louis style and smoke ‘em unwrapped at 275* until they’re done, usually around 5 hours. I smoke spares, baby backs have too much pork chop for me.

I vacuum seal & freeze the trimmings for curry or chili.

Since I’ve never trimmed a rack of spares I decided to give it a try. I did pretty good until I got to the wide end where I could not find a soft spot between the long ribs and the rest do I just trimmed the fat and left it. Trimmings are going on for lagniappe.

a73270b1c17f1cd874651a97a5abf1ad.jpg

839d30dc0bd94ce918b1d3f08d42ff78.jpg

62d86c746bf9056eae3a4cd92bbfa5c9.jpg

403e7f32e225fa1bfc994c5c5aec2e24.jpg

41bea3c34a5f697899cb179f2312e2e6.jpg

Seasoned everything with Black and Gild Cajun seasoning. Got the classic warming up to 265-270 now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I'm buying whole spare ribs, I'm cooking them whole. The flavor and juiciness of a full rack of spares can't be beat. I know some people have an aversion to the cartilage chunks in the tip section, but I don't have a problem either munching on them or spitting them out onto the plate. I am never cooking for a comp or neighbors/friends though. But I can say that any time I've given out whole ribs to friends/neighbors, they have always raved, and said they were off the hook good. The best comments I've ever received were from whole spares cooked at 275-325F and the wood used was Peach. Those absolutely turned out to die for.

I will trim the flap off the bottom and any flimsy edges of meat that will just dry up, but I do leave the breast bone in, then cut it off after cooking. There is a bit of meat on those as well, so no waste.

I didn't take a before pic but post trimming my last rack of full spares is on the right. I cut out the breastbone, the skirt, and trimmed/rounded the ends for a nice shape that wouldn't catch air and burn.
hjZmv6Yh.png

Cooked:
Qh6w36Ph.png

And the trimmings I cooked separate and ate for lunch the other day:
UTJTkb4h.png

I wrapped after about 3 hours at 275, in butcher paper, for an hour. They were probably the best full rack spares I've made. Can't wait to do another full rack.
Qofq39Ih.png

Wrapped with 2/3 cup of shoestring Vino Blend after 1 3/4 hours and back on for another hour.

31d0f7e7105cd315b8b86cd59a29f5ca.jpg

The trimmings came off after the first hour and some were a chef’s treat. The rest will be lunch tomorrow or supper tonight. They were great!

2f07a1bd0e8d428f979f60e75c992053.jpg

One hour later bone side up for 10 minutes with a little sauce the bone side down for some Sweet Baby Ray’s. Excellent shelter in place meal!

e9a0ba669bf3ff7349bd53cc4bb7e217.jpg

aa13d3ef3f41546ee8cb515fe33a509b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always trim my full spares now to St. Louis style. I take the tips and smoke them with rubs I haven't used on ribs before to see how it taste and compare.

I always trim to St Louis + tips/trimming for beans/other meals.

Today, though... I didn't. Just trimmed off the flap, pulled the membrane, on goes the rub... into the sauna.

I always buy spares, trim them to St. Louis, and grind what’s removed for sausage or just to have ground pork on hand for other recipes.

I grew up on rib tips, I think I was 21 before I knew what ribs were... trim them and treat the tips as a chefs cut :-D

Thanks
Greg

Back