THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When I cook for big events or for people that want my BBQ, I use my own because I can make it cheaper and it has my own flavor profile that goes with my sauce. With that said I love to buy other rubs and sauces to try out.

used to make, now i buy commercially available and doctor them up. simply marvelous are the bomb to mod.

I made all of the rubs that I first used when I starting out competing, my family and friends loved them. Then a friendly competitor told me that all of the winning teams these days were using purchased/commercial rubs. I found some that I liked and have done well with them. Experiment both ways, then use the best rub for the occasion.

Making or Buying A Rub.....

I know we all discuss rub recipes and discuss which is best from time to time. But the question of making and using home made rubs versus buying and using commercial rubs always seems to resurface time after time.

The best rub in the world is the rub you like best. More often than not the rub you like best will not be the one you make yourself. This is because we get locked into a closed mind of what spices we should put into the rub we make. Personal changes in taste are difficult to make and we tend to lock in on a specific set of ingredients and exclude others that don't appeal to our personal tastes.

This is the reason many people chose other rubs in taste tests. They break your barriers of normal taste and expand your flavor horizons. Remember that a rub is not only a mixture of spices and herbs, it is a mixture of flavors. A good rub will have a balanced flavor that adds layers of flavor of the meat, without overpowering it. While a rub will add flavor, it is also a flavor enhancer that brings out and compliments the overall flavor of the meat with subtle additions of salty, sweet, savory, and spicy flavors in perfect balance to our taste buds.

I will probably have some opposition here, but in the end I think it is best to leave the rubs to the professional suppliers. They are commercially mixed in bulk at extreme discounts. They have professional mixing, measuring, and packaging equipment. In the end they have the quality control labs to provide you with a consistent product that will not change from cook to cook. It will save you a lot of work, effort, time, and yes even money in the interim, and there are so many choices out there.

Yes making homemade rubs can be a fun experiment and the outcome can be good. I have tried over 100 recipes and even varied them from time to time, but never created anything outstanding. From my personal experience, by the time you buy the spices, take the time to weigh and mix them, test them. You really don't save any money by doing it yourself.. Add the cost of the spices, the time required to process them (time is money), and you have saved nothing.

The bottom line is that making multi-layers of flavors in rubs at home is not an easy task. It takes time to order fresh ingredients, properly measure and mix them to get that product you are seeking. To many of us here, time is an important commodity much like money. Just as we spend our money wisely, many of us have to manage our time with the same principals. Some of us have the time to do this and others do not, in the end we have to do what is best for our individual needs.

We choose and use what works best for us, what suits our tastes, our preferences, and what time allows us to do.

Also not all commercial rubs are created equal... I have used some that appear to be all salt, others have high sugar content. These may be a desired flavor profile for some, but not for me. I feel these manufacturers who use too much salt or sugar are using these as fillers trying to get a larger return and gain greater profits.

Then again there may be consistency issues with some commercial rubs. I had tried a different commercial rub many years ago, the first two cases I used were great, the third case was overly salty. When I contacted the team about the issue they never responded. I stopped using that product because of the quality issue, so in a pinch I found a manufacturer who sold their rubs with absolute consistency.

It doesn't mean it's right for everyone to buy commercially rubs. Some of you will, some of you won't. But you'll never know unless you try.

In the end, I am saying to open your mind to other things. I was set in my ways and my train of thought. I could have saved myself ten years of ordering and mixing in an effort to try and achieve what was already available to me. Not only was it readily available, but it was much better than any of my recipes.

Making rubs or buying rubs will always be a personal choice. Doing either does not make your "Q" better or worse. Either can expand your flavor horizons and help you find the apex of your cooks. Not everyone cooks in large volumes and buying in bulk can be a bad choice you only have small cooks.

Rubs are like tools, a good design can help make the "BBQ" great, while others may not, use your tools properly. Think of using a pair of pliers to remove a screw, it'll get the job done, but not as good and effectively as the proper screwdriver. It can also be like trying to invent the wheel when it already exists. Look past your current horizons at other items, not just rubs, but cookers, types of wood, and so many other products. Some of these rub makers have had years of design, and development in creating a great product.

Keep an open mind and don't be afraid to try something new once in a while. Think of it as treasure hunting, maybe you'll find something good or maybe you won't, but you'll never know unless you try.

I pretty much use two rubs;S&P for beef and APL's butt rub for pork. For me there are two main reasons I don't buy rubs. 1-I like to know what's in it and I don't like having all that crap I can't pronounce. Also there are just so many rubs out there that I don't know what to buy. Like sauce I think rubs are somewhat overrated. If I have a great rub but don't cook the food right and you use a not-so-good rub but cook it right your's will be better every time. All this being said I do love some Blues Hog on my poultry.

I used to make them, now I buy them. There are so many good ones out there I don't feel the need to keep all the spices in my cabinet.

I think Madman said it best, I like to make em and buy em, when I do buy them I like to buy rubs that are not on any shelf in the community as everyone can identify the flavor, the same way when I make em I always end up making some off the wall what the hell is that stuff. Maybe because I've had so much different flavor tests that its hard to impress myself.

I'm a buyer, but I do make one rub that always seems to be the favorite when it comes to chicken and flank steak. Right now my 2 favorites are The BBQ Rub from Killer Hogs and Rendezvous from Charlie Vergos.

well,,some interesting responses.

the one i dont go along with is wasting time making a rub.

You drive to the store,spend time in the store,drive back home.
take care of the meat,,purchase your fuel,start the fire,spend HOURS tending and fussing ,,

and everything else that goes along with it but cant find the 15 minutes to mix up a rub ????

take care of the meat,,purchase your fuel,start the fire,spend HOURS tending and fussing ,,

and everything else that goes along with it but cant find the 15 minutes to mix up a rub ????

I think I'm in your camp. To me, making my rubs is part of the fun. Maybe I just don't smoke as much as some guys here and for them it becomes one more thing to do. Of course, I also tie all of my own offshore fishing rigs. Something about doing it yourself that you know exactly what you have and how to tweak it going forward.

One man's time waste is another man's passion.

I'd say that's likely the case in the sentiment of "wasting time".

One man's time waste is another man's passion.

I'd say that's likely the case in the sentiment of "wasting time".

Spending a whole day cooking and prepping a meal and not spending 15 min
making a proper rub on your own seems to me like the whole process is nothing but wasting time ..

may as well go to the local BBQ joint and buy your food..

That way who ever eats it can get the commercial version and the cook gets to be the hero !

I WONT cook what aint mine,,for better or for worse,,,what I serve is MINE and NOT something store bought,, !!

if you aren't a good enuf cook to make your own ,,like i said,,order out..

I have done both but then ended up making my own. There are a ton of commercial ones available that are really good but I do believe you can make ones you like just as much since the ingredients are available to buy. The whole "fresh" issue on spices seems overdone since commercial rub spices could be just as old as what you buy to mix.

My current Pork/Chicken rub is a modified Mike Mills Magic Dust from years ago which I have seen people scoff at on this site as being "plain", "old" and "boring" but it worked for him for a long time:). For Pork I put a sauce on afterwards and have both mustard or vinegar based depending on who is around and for ribs sometimes use a version of crack sauce but you need to be careful so it doesn't get too sweet.

For Brisket I have returned almost exclusively to SPG and maybe a little Cayenne. Everyone should just keep doing what works for them......

I think there's some confusion as to the amount of time to make a rub. I'm not talking about running to the store and buying spices off the shelf. But for a backyard cook these will work fine as they are not trying to create a competition grade spice blend/rub. BUT not all commercial rubs are created equal, there are some companies that use the basic spices because they are cheaper, use lots of salt, and sugar then with a great looking label and a good marketing campaign, they can sell their rubs with great success.

What I was referring to was ordering specific spices from specific areas of the world. To use a simple example I'll refer to cinnamon; Most people who buy cinnamon from the store probably have no idea where it comes from and how it compares to other types of cinnamon especially in flavor. There are four varieties of cinnamon - Ceylon, Cassia, Saigon, and Korintje; each having a unique flavor, which can change in potency and flavor depending upon the area it is grown in, thus creating additional types (Each variety also varies drastically in Coumarin Content) Cinnamon at the store is Cassia cinnamon, which comes from a the plant "Cinnamomum Cassia" and is widely grown in China.

The same holds true for coriander and the multitude of other spices used as well. The time it takes to track down the specific type/variety and verify it's origin to maintain quality takes a good amount of time and building a good rapport with a salesman. When buying specific varieties of spices from specific regions, they do not come in small quantities from a purveyor. Most people buy the whole spice and then grind them themselves to be sure of what they have and what they are using. It's all a matter of what one wishes to use.

The time it takes to bring these together and verify quality does take time. This is where I refer to the fact that competitor quality rubs are best when left to the commercial producers. The higher quality commercial rub producers do not order run of the mill store shelf types of spices, but rather specific varieties from specific regions. That is why some of the commercial rub producers have superior products. They have years of testing and fine tuning blends with specific varieties of spices, spices that are not available at a local supermarket..

The same holds true with competition type sauces.

No one is saying that you shouldn't make your own rubs and sauces. By all means if that is what you want to do there is nothing wrong with doing so. But in the same sense you cannot fault someone who wants a higher quality product that is handcrafted in small batches to insure only the highest quality product available on the commercial market.

But when one knows the difference in spice varieties and types, they can appreciate labors and pains endured by a commercial rub producer to get these specific spices to produce an intricate/delicate flavor. On top of that - the rub producers have testing equipment to verify the specifics of each spice used.

My hat is tipped in appreciation to the quality commercial rub producers who have this detail to quality..... KUDOS to you.

To say spices are spices or that cinnamon is just cinnamon; is like saying a steak is a steak. Well to be specific, I prefer a dry-aged porterhouse that you can cut with a fork and melts in your mouth. The porterhouse is by far much more different in every aspect of a being a labeled a steak than a chuck, flank, or round steak.

There are vast differences in quality in everything we have encompassed in our lives. TVs, carpets, cars, vegetables, meats, and yes... even spices.

Last edited:
I make my own and have a large variety of spices on hand. Mostly whole as they keep much longer.
I like making my own, like to play around with the different spices. And yes, I do have black and white pepper from both Vietnam, Cambodia generic etc (just as an example).

Having said that: the variety of rubs in the USA is most likely far better than where I am.
My experience with bought rubs is that they are either to sweet or too salty (or just plain boring)

Back