THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eujamfh

Knows what a fatty is.
So I have ocellated over the years of buying verse making my rubs. I have used the rubs from "Smoke and Spice" as well as ones from Costco, the local BBQ store and most recently from Texas BBQ rub. I have some chuck and brisket in as I type with the Texas brisket formula.

Every time I buy rubs, I think about how I can make it cheaper...but then I know mine will likely be not as fresh if I buy the spices at Costco, and I have never been able to duplicate a bought version.

This Texas rub smelled devine...it's reasonable so maybe I won't have that coat dilemma anymore.

Will find out this evening when I pull the briskets for supper!

I make most of the rubs I use for brisket, ribs, pork butt, pork tenderloin and beef.

I always use commercial rubs for chicken as I have found a few that I love and it's just easier to use them than to experiment to find something I like better.

I do both. I have a rub I make that I really like on butts and ribs. That being said, I like a lot of the commercial rubs as well. I usually try to revise my rub to enhance the qualities i like in the commercial rubs. On my homemade rub, I don't add any salt or sugar until I'm ready to use. I don't have any science behind why other than a few things I've read. I also vacuum seal my rub just to prevent any moisture from getting in. All overkill I'm sure, but it's part of the fun.

I buy. Have made a few (Dr. BBQ has some real good ones in his cookbooks) but find that hanging out here and going to Brethren bashes keeps my rub shelf very well stocked.

Made my own for years but this past year I started trying out different commercial rubs, I like trying different rubs and there are a couple I have found that I'll probably keep in stock, especially my favorite chicken rub. Most of the time for Brisket and Beef Short Ribs I just use S&P, still make a no salt rub for Naked Fatty's.

I keep bulk spices on hand for other non rub purposes so I normally just make my own to help rotate through them quicker. I do love trying commercial rubs though!

I make all of mine. Plus, finish, sauce, and glaze. The flavor profile that my family and friends like is sweet with just a touch of heat on the front. I really enjoy making them.

Mostly buy rubs including Smokin Guns, Butt Rub, Killer Hog products, Plow Boys products, and Canadian Steak Seasoning for briskets. I occasionally make Myron Mixons basic Pork rub for ribs because it's got some nice heat.

I do both. I typically use commercial rubs these days but I keep stuff on hand to make rubs. Its a skill I have to perfect. I am not as good with rubs. I guess I need to make more rubs from books published to learn what makes a good rub. I do have my own sauce recipe though.

I think it is important to learn to make a good rub because if you run out of a commercial blend what do you do? In my neck of the woods what I use is not stuff you buy at the local grocery store. Except John Henry rubs. We can get that locally. Sweet Swine of Mine makes a good rub which is sold locally to me. Its expensive for a tiny shaker. Wish I could by a larger bottle of it.
So try doing both.

We have a lot of spices in the cupboard, because we love to cook. Using them for rubs allows them to be used up and replaced in a timely matter. The rubs I have purchased contain too much salt for our tastes, and tend to cover up the flavor of the meat.

Make my own.

hard to find store bot ones that aint much more than salt !!

if you aint into cookin enough to take the time and experiment and make your own,,go out to eat ! :)

cant imagine somebody spending hours and hours cooking trying to get it perfect but wont spend the little time it takes to make a rub ???

With the exception of making a rub for very few of my own recipes I buy my rubs. Too many excellent rubs out there to waste my time.

Back