THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have read this thread from start to finish and I can see the stick burner side clearly, I even had one at one time. I also remember all that it took to cook on it, you have already heard all that. I agree with ssv3, start small. I'am lazy now,I bought a Stumps.

Lots of good advice here as usual. I love cooking on my Shirley. But I also love playing with fires like Stlsportster. Just recently bought my first Weber kettle for my new fishing camp and my kids bought me a Slow n Sear for it. It puts out pretty dang good BBQ! And does a hell of a job on reverse sear steaks. But you have limited cooking space. I loved my large BGE too, but the taste of BBQ on the Shirley is much better to me. Good luck on your decision.

My perspective and I didn't read what others here have said. I came from the world of WSM's, they produce great Que. I added a Guru and set and forget. I threw stuff on the cooker, cut grass, tilled a garden, went to the dump etc. Come back at a designated time and had good que.

I now have a Shirley too, I use it everytime, the product is very similar maybe some better but I could make my WSM sing. What it has done to/for me is to teach me to BBQ. I now add wood, meat, get some coffee and relax next to the cooker, later I switch to beer/tea/bourbon, maybe read a book. I really enjoy the day more now, sure it's some more work but it's the act of Que to me.

YMMV

What he said but instead of a WSM I had a Mastercraft Electric smoker and it was like cheating!

Never understood the reasoning behind a set it and forget type it unless your just unable to maintain a fire. There's people out there that puts food on the smoker and goes to sleep. No way I could do that! Even with a pellet pooper.

you don't understand why someone would want to smoke their food low and slow and still be able to get a night's sleep? what's not to understand? lol. i do it all the time. set my probe range and go to sleep.

you don't understand why someone would want to smoke their food low and slow and still be able to get a night's sleep? what's not to understand? lol. i do it all the time. set my probe range and go to sleep.

Some people enjoy the process as much as or more than the results. Hanging around a stick burner can be enjoyable and can also be a social thing with the right crowd.

Overnight is not always fun, but it usually is not necessary except when you want to serve lunch.

Some people enjoy the process as much as or more than the results. Hanging around a stick burner can be enjoyable and can also be a social thing with the right crowd.

Overnight is not always fun, but it usually is not necessary except when you want to serve lunch.

i totally get the other side of it. i'd love to get a stickburner some day. my friends ask why i don't get a pellet smoker. i actually enjoy the process of getting my dinky vertical/barrel type smokers going. i like cooking with hot coals/fire actual wood, etc.

but for anyone say they don't understand the "set and forget" type cookers just seems a bit silly.

Everybody has handled juuuust about everything, but I'll add just one more thing.

THE SMELL!!! The smell of a stickburner is BEYOND reproach. I can bring folks in with my WSM, but when I had my stickburner I had to keep an eye out for STRANGERS wandering in to find out what's cooking.:shock::shock:

One other thing. When you talk to Tyler or Paul, they may tell you that you might wanna go with a thicker firebox instead of an insulated one considering that it doesn't get brutally cold in your area. You can use the money saved to add even more goodies on your smoker.:decision::decision:

Cooking with a real hard wood fire just can't be beat.I tend to cook the whole meal in my Lang 60 D like baked beans,mac & cheese,potatoes,cornbread ,etc,to go along with meat.And by using different woods you can change the flavor.

If you want to find out if it's something for you, buy a cheep offset at wallyworld, and use that 15 times. Then If your still wanting a better stick burner, upgrade. It's a lot of upfront money to spend not knowing if it works for you or not.

I have both an offset and a pellet cooker, and each has it's place. The thing about cooking on an offset, for me, is that it will be an EVENT. All that will be done during the required block of time is tending the smoker. This entails friends gathering around, beer and pop will be flowing, and short-cook snacks will be smoked and consumed. Then, after our herculean(!) efforts, everyone will have a party when all the meat and fixings are served.
There will be no need to go "handle" something that needs to be done. We just relax and enjoy smoker-Zen. it is a great therapy.
Some days we get to block out a chunk of time for riding motorcycles all over the state; other days are planned around wispy plumes of sweet smoke. And some days, the only way we will get any barbecue is to just shove it into the pellet cooker and let it run by itself....

Has nothing to do with the smoker and doing low and slow. I personally could never put food on low and slow and go to sleep. The cooker would have me worried to death while trying to sleep is all. Just don't see how so many people can do it easily.

I haven't heard any horror stories about doing it, but still it would drive me nuts laying in bed knowing when I wake up things could be going south lol

I am a new stick burner - as in one stick burn under my belt...so take this with a lump of salt.

- Ive smoked for over a decade on gas, electric and charcoal with my family loving the results.

- I longed for a traditional pit taste from my existing smokers, and was determined to upgrade to either a cabinet or off set that is of a "circuit level smoker"

- I waffled between stick and cabinet.

- I searched for a while for a CL deal, because a good stick burner or cabinet is not cheap, and I am.

- I found a "good price" on both around the same time a couple weeks ago.

- I opted for a stick burner because I love the work of my hobbies.

I run two wood stoves in the house in the winter, brew beer on a "manual" all grain brewing system, make my own sausage and generally enjoy the time I dedicate to these hobbies.

The stick burner "fit" my personality and because I am ok with the wake up times for making BBQ for dinner and not lunch, I was agreeable with the wake up times. We don't need brisket for lunch, and if we do, reheating is ok with us and I have no plans to compete. I just cook it the day before if I want a BBQ lunch.

Just determine how you want to spend your time to meet your needs. I think that will help neck down your decision. It certainly did for me.

I have a Stumps and a Lang, when I run the Stumps I sit there and stare at it waiting for something to do. I can't help it, it's how I enjoy BBQing.
My wife laughs and says "I thought you bought the Stumps so you don't have to do that."
You'll figure out what you enjoy. It's a journey.

I have a Stumps and a Lang, when I run the Stumps I sit there and stare at it waiting for something to do. I can't help it, it's how I enjoy BBQing.
My wife laughs and says "I thought you bought the Stumps so you don't have to do that."
You'll figure out what you enjoy. It's a journey.

I about spit up my OJ when reading that line about staring at it since for me it paints such a vivid funny image that I can relate to and think about when I stare at my backwoods. :becky:.

I do love having the variety of cookers that I have and sometimes set and forget is very nice, but most times I'm firing up my stick burner (even for smaller cooks) because I have time when I'm around the house and just piddling around. Taking a look every 30-45mins becomes just a part of the day and is a ton of fun.

In the beginning I didn't like tending to a fire, but now I do like it a lot.

One other thing I forgot to mention previously. I wanted to "try it" before I "bought it"- so i was going onto Craigslist looking for a rusted out old Lang to buy and restore so that at worst, I'd be out time and a few grinding wheels. Turns out there was a guy in atlanta that rents pull behind/trailer smokers. The price wasn't bad and for a few 100 bucks, I rented it for a weekend and cooked the best bbq I'd ever done. Beginner's luck? Absolutely probable- -but it gave me the confidence that I could do it and it went from there. So maybe see if there is someone renting out smokers like that in your area.

I really need to save the below statement in a Word document and pull it up any time someone asks this type of question... :wink:

I have been grilling foods for years, with mostly good results, and some not so good results. I had used gassers and kettle type charcoal pits, and preferred the kettles as I got to play with the fire. I also was the one that loved the few cold days we get here in SoTex, as it gave me a chance to light the fireplace at the bar and play with it. Yeah, probably a pyro at heart.

About 4 or 5 years ago, I was out somewhere and had some BBQ, and thought that I could probably make this. Now, at this point, I only had a gasser, as the little woman needed somewhere to cook some of her Korean food that should not be cooked in enclosed spaces. I missed the kettle, but had been doing ok with the gasser, especially after I learned about cooking indirect. But, trying to get my gasser down to exactly 225* (another thing I have since learned is not required) was difficult, especially on a 100* day. After a couple times of doing "ok" ribs and a couple briskets for an event (one was great, the other was shoe leather), I started researching smokers. It had to be the pit, not the master.

In February 2013, I got my first smoker, a 22.5" WSM and the BBQ bug bit me hard. I was smoking two or three times a week, and trying to smoke some stuff I'd never thought of trying (some good, some even the dogs wouldn't eat). That WSM loved to hum along at 275* with very little input from me, maybe a slight adjustment a couple times during the cook. I learned a LOT thanks to the knowledgeable people on this site, and got to the point where I had a process for most things, and could consistently produce good Q. Well, at least that's what my friends told me. Either that or those drunks just liked free food. I started to get more and more requests to make some BBQ for a friends birthday or whatever gathering at the bar. Enough that I started running out of real estate on the WSM.

After two years on the WSM, I decided it was time to upgrade, and if I was going to do it, I was going to buy my last smoker. It was going to be big, heavy, and with lots of room. And if I was going to become a true "pitmaster", I knew that it had to be on a stick burner. I researched several of the name brands, Shirley, etc., but decided on LSG due to the way it looked, the quality, the love for it from several Brethren, and because it was close to home, meaning I could pick it up. I placed my order in March of 2015 with Chris and Amber for the Vertical Offset with the works for about $3600 and started the long wait for it to be mine. I got the email and made the drive to LSG to pick up my new BEAST on July 3rd, 2015. Got her home and six of my buddies helped me move 1700 pounds of the most beautiful steel I had ever seen to the back yard. Got her all seasoned and played around with a couple fires, and got down to what I knew was going to be my best BBQ ever.

Well, there was a learning curve coming from the WSM. Managing a fire, getting the tuning plates set up, etc. My process I had previously set up was shot and I had to start over. Instead of grabbing a bag of KBB and a handful of wood chunks, I now had to cut and split wood, so set up time was longer. Instead of getting the WSM up to temp, throwing the meat on, and letting her ride, I now had to keep a constant eye on temps, throw another log on, fiddle with the coals, oh crap, way too high of temp, cut my splits shorter, crap, now my coal bed is dying, what the Fark am I doing wrong???

Now, if I was just doing this when I had time off, I might have enjoyed it more. But I did a lot of my cooks during the week while I was working from home. And getting up from my desk every 30 mins started to really bother me.
By early December, I realized that I had only cooked on the Beast about 10 times and had fallen back to using the WSM most of the time, unless it was a bigger cook that needed the space. It hurt me to come to the conclusion, but I realized I had made an expensive mistake. I sent an email to Chris on December 3rd, 2015 asking to him about reselling it and posted here on the Brethren soon after. Chris and I also discussed it and I placed my order for a large Insulated Cabinet, more my style, and still big enough to handle most anything I will ever need to cook.

Now came the fun of trying to sell the Beast. She’d be a great smoker to someone, but who wants to pay that much for a (slightly) used smoker, when for a little more they could get it brand new. I listed it everywhere. The Brethren, Craigslist, Newspapers, and every Facebook sales page I could find. I got offers from scammers and others that were trying to low ball me to less than half price. In January of 2016, I got a PM and email from a Brethren who wanted it. In Washington. The state. He was willing to work with me on shipping, so I started trying to find a shipper that would do it and an insurance company in case something happened on the way. Finally, I got that all figured out, but unfortunately, he had to back out as it was too heavy for the spot he planned to put it. <Sigh>

Went back to the boards and started dropping the price. February came and went with no bites. I got my cabinet from LSG and it was wonderful. Ran similar to the WSM, stable around 250*, a little lower than the WSM, but I could load it up around lunch time and we’d have BBQ for dinner without taking a lot of time out of my work day. In March, the Brethren that was interested in the Beast before, contacted me and said he had decided to pour a slab and wanted her if she was still available. Hell yes.

This started the nightmare of the shipping process. I went back to the company I had talked to before, the price had gone up, of course. So, I got a bunch of buddies together and we moved the smoker out to the driveway and we built a pallet around it. Finally the day arrived and the shipper came, notice I didn’t say shippers. The pallet jack he had on the truck was a one size fits every pallet except the one we built, so we had to build a new pallet using their jack measurements. Finally, a week later, a shipper (again, just one guy) came again to pick up the 1900 pounds of smoker and pallet. Me, him, and a neighbor who just happened to come home got it barely loaded onto the truck and off it went.

This is the point where the story should end, but this is my luck we are talking about, so no. They went to drop it off at the new owner’s house and realized they couldn’t get it off the truck, so had to reschedule. The second time, on April 19th, 2016, they were finally able to get the pallet on solid ground, but it was obvious that something was wrong. We don’t know what actually happened, but it appears that they dropped it. From some height. Hard enough that the metal casters broke through new 2 X 4’s spaced an inch apart and covered with 1” plywood. Did over $200 worth of repairable damage to the smoker and shredded the custom cover I had made for it. Good thing we had the insurance. It took another couple weeks of dealing with the insurance, and ordering replacements for everything, and the ordeal was finally behind me.

The Brethren in Washington got a smoker that he is in love with. I got the smoker I should have bought in the first place, and learned a very expensive lesson. They say look before you leap. In this case, buying a smaller stick burner for a couple hundred dollars and figuring out if that was what I really wanted to do, and deciding against it would have saved me a lot of time, stress, headaches, and probably a couple grand when all was finally said and done.

Back