Disappointed BBQ Experience

I ain't gonna lie, but I eat at a BBQ joint at least once when I'm traveling.....I just lower my expectations because I know that it probably isn't gonna be as good as my own. My love is focused on one item or a few, not many as is the case in a 'rant. Also, I'm using a stick burner that I built by hand and throw sticks in her that have been seasoning for well over a year, not some gas oven with wood chips for smoke. Chances are mine (and I'm very sure all of you's) is better......That said, I do like to sample others though and try different BBQ sauce.

Although, the worst I've had is Akin's Barbecue in Bell, FL. The good thing is that they are smoking meat. I can smell it in the place and see the smoke ring, the bad news is, I have no idea what cuts of meat they are using. Certainly not pork shoulder or beef brisket :crazy:. The beans were really good, and sauce wasn't too bad. Potato salad was almost straight mustard on potatoes..........

At the end of the day, I don't get too wound up about it........I used to, but not worth it anymore. I think the reason why Franklin is so successful is that he plans to run out every day and therefore, doesn't have to worry about how to use leftovers when he cooks too much....

Ed

17th st grill is decent there in Marion and Murphysboro (sp?) its probably the best bbq in a hundred mile radius. I prefer it to anything in Memphis or st Louis.
17th Street Bar and Grill as well as Jack's BBQ, both in Murphysboro, IL are about the only Q places that I will actually make an effort to eat at.

I was guilty of naming one specific joint, but it was a place I pronounced disgusting in the 1950's. I know it was still around in the 1970's, but seriously doubt that it exists now - the area where it was located was way out in the boonies at that time, but is much more populated these days. While the town still has a BBQ joint or more, the named one doesn't seem to exist - deservedly so.

The maggot episode was in the early 1960's, and that butcher shop is long gone. The rib sandwich joint is probably still around, but after pulling that stunt on a couple of innocent customers (who just happened to have a Buck folding hunter in the car, so were able to eat the joke) doesn't deserve any publicity. And who knows about the place in Brenham (or was it Chappell Hill?) - that was also a disgusting experience from the '70's.

But in more recent years, I did experience some really barf-worthy BBQ at a place in the Denver airport. Again, no name if there's a chance the place still exists.

Abe's BBQ, Clarksdale, Mississippi - "Since 1924". Right at Robert Johnson's famous Crossroads. Proof that Satan really is there, because he makes them boil their ribs.

So many restaurants cut corners with ingredients and preparation, especially the chains. I have to eat at local Mexican restaurants, taco shops, or drop $50 a plate to get decent food in a restaurant. There are only 2 BBQ places in town that I've been to that I will frequent in a regular basis, out of many. Sushi is the only thing I can't prepare better at home than in a restaurant.

I stopped by a favorite BBQ place near my old neighborhood and ordered a sliced beef poorboy. When I took a bit it was nothing but fat. I opened the bun and it was a slice where the flat is under the point but it was like half a sandwich of fat. Shows you how important the meat cutters job is. I left but I should have probably just asked for another sandwich.

Dickies is about right. Have a friend who worked in their corporate office & said Roland Dickie is nuts. He has hidden cameras installed in all his managers offices to make sure they're working.

Best I've had is Ten 50 north of Dallas. Haven't been to the Austin places & won't wait in Pecan Lodge's line. But it Ten 50 was really good.

I love me some Dickey's!
Can I make better at home? Yes I can.
But when on the road I will gladly grab a quick lunch at Dickey's instead of McDonalds or Subway.
I'm all about craft beer too, but that doesn't stop me from wanting an ice cold coors light after mowing the lawn on a hot day.

An old man in a strip bar once told me that he had a lot of uhm bbq in his day. Some of it was better than others, but none of it was bad.

Now that whole maggot story, that's not bad bbq that's just plain bad.

I'm relatively new to the BBQ scene but I'm already better at BBQing than what you can get at most of the chain establishments. That being said, if I'm around Blairsville, PA, I stop at Clem's BBQ. Pretty darn good!

I love me some Dickey's!
Can I make better at home? Yes I can.
But when on the road I will gladly grab a quick lunch at Dickey's instead of McDonalds or Subway.
I think I'd rather have McD's than Dickies. And I hate McD's. Just sayin...

An old man in a strip bar once told me that he had a lot of uhm bbq in his day. Some of it was better than others, but none of it was bad.

:clap::clap::clap::clap: I don't care who you are, that's farking funny right there!

It's a shame that with all the hype of food and cooking programs, we have grown to appreciate a food style that is not consistent at the marketplace. The hype of TV programs at the recognized locations across America that I recall have been described above are crossed off my bucket list. Central Texas, the 3 Carolina's, scratch.I don't have the patience to wait at Franklins if I get to Austin. Keelin's maybe. There is nothing in Illinois to force me to 17th St, which apparently remains good.
This was a timely thread as we approach the vacation season. Thanks to all who posted. I do get to Virginia Beach regularly. I actually walked out of a place just north of NAS Oceana on the east-west drag when the mouth breathing counter boy stuttered when I asked about burnt ends. Witner's was okay for burnt end sammies 3 years ago but I have not been back. Someone who lives in VB posted here nothing is presently good. Sounds like LeAnn shuttered her place? Thought it was in N. Carolina. Now, I have a friend who went to the Nascar Sprint Cup race in Charlotte a couple years ago and ate at 13 Bones, run by former Yankee Chris Chambliss. She said it was good, but has not been back lately. Anyone know?
Thanks Brethren, great thread. :caked:

Dickies praying on unsuspecting consumers. Luckily our local one shut down. Terrible. Dickies and spring creek could have a competition for worst BBQ

Back