THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yep, Guy has helped Operation BBQ Relief on several occasions. And he wasn't there just for the photo op, he cooked. I respect him for that.

The segment I saw on him was about how he has raised millions of dollars for restaurant workers that lost income due to the pandemic. Seems like a good person, with a goofy hairstyle.

Yeah, I find him a bit obnoxious but he does a lot of charitable work and I've read that he's one of the few genuine celebrity chefs.

I know this isn't a great picture, but can anyone ID his slicer?
Just to the left of the pizza oven
It's green and chrome(stainless?)
It is manually operated.
1588787283394.jpeg

I've been to a few of his DDD picks. Some were really good, others were really bad. He generally annoyed me, but hearing things like what Robb said, and listening to him on a few other shows (Hot Ones, Diesel Brothers) he seemed a lot more down to earth than I had expected. Looks like the show is his gimmick-and I respect playing that up. Ratings are there, and the money is coming in. They say his Grocery Games store donates an insane amount of food to shelters, too. As much as I don't want to like him...the more I hear-the more I have to respect what he does.

I respect and appreciate Guy’s support to Operation BBQ Relief and nice to hear from members who can attest to his purpose and not the photo opportunity.

I met him in the late 90’s, before he made it big and blonde hair, at my friends wedding. My friend was a cook who worked for Guy at his restaurant in Santa Rosa and my memory is he seemed a bit standoff-ish. Probably for good reasons…it was a crazy night! Somewhere in an old shoe box is 3 x 5 of Guy from that night.

Have always loved his shows. He’s always kept it light when the other shows get super serious. Kinda kid-like sometimes. I made sure to visit his restaurant in Playa del Carmen and Vegas and the giant Bloody Mary is insane, with a price to match. But I knew what I was getting into so wasn’t shocked. Celebrity chef restaurants are not a value prop.

He's got two places where he films from home, his primary residence and his ranch house.
The ranch house is where he filmed all of his chef friends, pre Covid, making dishes.
He does the takeout show with his son Hunter at his home.

I like the show, I like Guy even though he's a little over the top. If you read any article about him or the impact the show has on the restaurants he visits, every single one of the people that talk about him talk about how he's very gracious and helpful, and them being on the show is almost always life changing.

I've only been to one spot he's visited which was a Mexican restaurant in Jackson Hole, Wyoming. It was phenomenal.

They say his Grocery Games store donates an insane amount of food to shelters, too.

I had the opportunity to attend a taping of GGG last January and the experience was incredible! Guy was incredibly hospitable, down to earth and funny! His good friend Carl "The Cuban " Ruiz was one of the judges and together they were hilarious.

As soon as the show is completed a huge amount of staff are in the aisles with carts clearing away all the perishables so they can get them to the needy.

Much respect.

Back