Did Y’all Do This?

We save it in the fridge for seasoning and frying eggs. Especially good for cast iron skillet corn bread. I’ll chuck it after awhile and start a new batch so as not to get rancid. My mom and dad told of grease collection during WWII when everyone saved all cooking oils for making bombs. I also keep a metal grease pot next to the stove to dump into and throw out when cooled.

Did for 19 years. Losing weight over the last 9 months made it unhelpful so we dont now. Used to use it for frying eggs, and breakfast meats, rubbing on baked potatoes, and flavoring veggies. I dont miss it most of the time. But it is some good stuff!

Oh yes....my Mother was from Georgia and saved all bacon grease and used it to cook and season just about everything, okra, all greens, frying eggs, etc. My favorite was her fried chicken...in a very old, heavenly seasoned, super black cast iron pan with 1/2 bacon grease and 1/2 shortening. The best!!

I like to slather bacon drippin's on beef ribs, pork ribs, pork butts, etc., before tossing them into a smoker. Just adds a little "something" to the flavor.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Yep, just like mama. I use a small stainless steel grease strainer can. Keeps the crud out. Grease the bottom of my biscuit pan, put a dab on top of each biscuit makes 'em brown real purdy. Grease the corn bread skillet, no stick just good crunchy bottoms. If you drain your bacon on a paper towel, use it to grease the iron skillet after washing.

• Thanks
I really enjoy the BBQ Brethren site. Its a great site, but man, posting pictures here is a dayuum labor. Have ya thought about a software upgrade ? I'd be willing to pitch in with a donation. I mean really, barbecue needs pics.
Tapatalk app has its own image upload system. Does it all for you.

Yessir. Try steaming or quick boiling your okra first,before adding the breading.Dry sticks to wet,wet sticks to dry when frying.Mom always par boiled "okree" then tossed into cornmeal and fried in a black iron skillet.Whole pods,never longer than 2.5 inches long.Small okree is the trick.:wink::thumb:

• Thanks
I learned this from my grandmother. Every Saturday evening she would start cooking this thick sliced bacon. It would simmer away for several hours. On Sunday morning, she would let it simmer for another hour in it´s own fat. This rendered out most of the fat. The bacon was delicious and we got to dunk our bread in the bacon grease. Add a little bit of brown sugar and BOOM. Leftover bacon grease was preserved and used throughout the week for whatever she was cooking. Every drop of bacon grease gets used in this house!

We cook bacon most weekends and keep a jar of grease. I use it to cook everything from eggs to vegetables.....definitely use it when my wife wants ground turkey :-D

Back