Flatbread Pizza and Fried Mozzarella on the Blackstone

lunchman

is One Chatty Farker

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Dom
Friday night is often pizza night for us but I didn't feel like dealing with the 3" of snow yesterday, so tonight is the night. Nothing super special, just easy to put together Flatbread Pizzas out on the Blackstone with store bought Naan.

However, the side dish started a few days back when I wanted to do something with the mozzarella slices left over from the pizza throwdown before they went unused. I've never attempted Fried Mozzarella sticks and I guess I still haven't as these are Fried Mozzarella Slices. :wink:

3zJ5V42.jpg

After a dip in egg wash and Italian bread crumbs (2x), they're looking ok. Into the freezer for a few days they went.

ccacrLJ.jpg

I was going to attempt cooking these directly on the griddle surface but decided that a shallow fry would be smarter. Getting the oil hot in the Lodge pan along with some slab bacon sliced from the deli -

QhCAMce.jpg

sfPgUv3.jpg

Bacon's done, mozzarella slices are doing fine in the hot oil which came up to 350F with the burner on high. They're cooked frozen to keep them from becoming too gooey -

bIYTtsE.jpg

x2JEGeB.jpg

dEScX15.jpg

For the flatbread pizza, our go to topping of Garlic Shrimp to go along with the Bacon -

vItrMHl.jpg

Warming the flatbreads -

EUlHxoe.jpg

And two easy to put together pizzas are on the griddle. I added Pepperoni and the last of our garden Cherry Tomatoes to mine -

NVOm2HQ.jpg

while my wife likes to keep hers simple with Shrimp and Bacon -

E2lHo8B.jpg

And they're done and ready to be sliced -

btcSRhS.jpg

1DKjLqd.jpg

Dinner is served -

A89IDkU.jpg

36EVAVf.jpg

2HGuO4E.jpg

HxCuoOq.jpg

diOFzgU.jpg

Flatbread Pizza on the Blackstone is always quick and easy. Frying the Mozzarella Slices on it is so much safer than attempting this indoors. No smell of oil in the house, no splatter, no dealing with getting rid of the oil. I'll leave the pan overnight on the griddle top and hopefully it will solidify a bit by morning for easy cleanup. If not, it'll help season the griddle top.

Thanks for checking out tonight's dinner!

Regards,
-lunchman

That looks spot on.

I would love to have that fried cheese on a burger or a smoked pork loin sandwich.

You have to change your name to Midas because that is gold!! It quite remarkable how much you can cook on the Blackstone and it all comes out fantastic.

Dude I know you were going for the win on the flatbread. But,

I was today years old before I realized you can bread and fry fresh mozz. Damn I’m thick.

Over 4 years I’m still learning new stuff.

Looks great. I will be trying this.

Dude I know you were going for the win on the flatbread. But,

I was today years old before I realized you can bread and fry fresh mozz. Damn I’m thick.

Over 4 years I’m still learning new stuff.

Looks great. I will be trying this.

Thanks.

Ditto. Still learning new things, this is the first time I've made fried mozzarella. I tend to shy away from any deep frying, simply dislike having to deal with the oil afterwards. But if I can attempt it on the Blackstone, it's worth the experiment. I watched one video where the frozen sticks were placed right on the griddle top, results were so so. It's good to be able to use a CI skillet for shallow frying on the griddle top.

I like what you did to use the cheese you had on hand.
I like taking Mozzarella sticks and wrapping them tightly in Wonton wrappers and deep frying them in shallow oil, much like you'd done on the Blackstone.
Good idea doing that, by the way. I'd never thought of heating oil on mine.

That looks wonderful, and we have a ball of fresh mozz.... For the deep fry are you using the lid from a Dutch oven? And is the cheese done when the coating is golden? I have a hybrid flat top and use my Dutch oven for frying fish and such, but I like your idea of using the flat top to control such a small amount of oil.

1pmlZIU.jpg

That looks wonderful, and we have a ball of fresh mozz.... For the deep fry are you using the lid from a Dutch oven? And is the cheese done when the coating is golden? I have a hybrid flat top and use my Dutch oven for frying fish and such, but I like your idea of using the flat top to control such a small amount of oil.

Yes, that's just the double handle lid that also serves as a skillet. It came with one of my Lodge pieces.

The cheese is done, meaning it's warm and a little soft when the coating is golden. I was half expecting it to melt into a mess in the oil but it stayed together nicely, probably due to it being frozen. Most recipes recommend a low moisture mozzarella, not sure if mine qualified as such.

Back