Diabetes and BBQ

My wife is an insulin dependent diabetic so I understand the struggle is real. Something that has worked well for us is different salsas and pico de gallo in place of sauces. I even tried some different fruit based salsas (mango, peach, etc..), just watch the fructose. Probably the most difficult thing for us to manage are the sides - they all seem to be full of carbs and sugars.

Grilled veggie sides are nice! Like mushrooms, asparagus etc.. slathered in butter :) Maybe a grilled tomato ? How about a side salad with vinegar & olive oil dressing?

A small pile of pulled pork dressed with Shack Attack sauce :) With a big side salad or grilled veggies sound delicious. Or instead of pulled pork maybe some brisket, or ribs w/o sweet red sauce.

I really love the veggies these days. I eat a leafy green salad almost everyday.. fill plate with spinach and top with radish, scallions, a couple cherry tomatoes, maybe some cucumber & scallion. Dice up some processed meat or leftover chicken from homemade chicken broth. Loads of extra virgin olive oil.. salt , pepper, crushed red pepper and low carb vinegar (white, red etc.. not balsamic).

Grilled veggie sides are nice! Like mushrooms, asparagus etc.. slathered in butter :) Maybe a grilled tomato ? How about a side salad with vinegar & olive oil dressing?

A small pile of pulled pork dressed with Shack Attack sauce :) With a big side salad or grilled veggies sound delicious. Or instead of pulled pork maybe some brisket, or ribs w/o sweet red sauce.

I really love the veggies these days. I eat a leafy green salad almost everyday.. fill plate with spinach and top with radish, scallions, a couple cherry tomatoes, maybe some cucumber & scallion. Dice up some processed meat or leftover chicken from homemade chicken broth. Loads of extra virgin olive oil.. salt , pepper, crushed red pepper and low carb vinegar (white, red etc.. not balsamic).

Try some veggies on the smoker. I have done tomatoes, garlic, onions, peppers, mushrooms, etc. You can make a pretty good salsa or marinara sauce with smoked veggies.

Back