Diabetes and BBQ

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Hi, it's been a while. Lately I've been focusing on getting healthy. I've gotten my diabetes under control with a low carbohydrate, high in fat diet.

Along with the meats, I also eat a lot of fatty fish for omega 3's (salmon, tuna, mackeral, trout, etc..) Eggs are great too! Not affraid of them.. I probably eat like 15 eggs a week.

I quit eating all refined carbs: sugar, HFCS, white flour, corn, cereals, pasta, potatoes, bread, crackers, chips, cookies, candies, juices, sodas etc.. I replace all the refined carbs with lots of above ground non-starchy vegetables like salad greens, spinach, asparagus, brussel sprouts, broccoli, green onions, zucchini, egg plant, green beans, portabella mushrooms etc. I usually steam them and cover with lots of butter. Or I might roast them with a bunch of olive oil. I use plenty of salt as my blood pressure has gone down from 140/80 to 110/60 due to change of diet and normalized blood sugars.

I also eat moderate amount of nuts & cheeses. Occasionally some garbanzo, black beans & lima beans (but I have to be careful with this for now -- just eat them in small quantities maybe twice a week).

The only fruits I eat are berries (and in moderation), because they are the lowest in sugar and highest in fiber. Many of the other fruits are just so large and sweet.. selectively cross-bread for decades/centuries to become larger and larger, sweeter and sweeter, until they are these huge fructose bombs. Our bodies didn't evolve [or weren't created] to eat such fructose loads (or so I've read here and there).

Reading a lot of low carb books like the Gary Taubes ones, Dr. Jason Fung. Eric Westman, Phinney, Volek, etc..

No longer injecting insulin and off all meds. Blood sugars are normalized.

Regarding BBQ, I just have to use sauces & rubs with no sugar in them -- wasn't big on them anyways. Well I did like BBQ sauce on chicken.. the sweet red kind. But I can live without it.. any substitute recommendations would be appreciated.

Just dropped in to say hi, and glad I can still BBQ :)

Baking bread, one of my other hobbies, well .... it has been put on hold for a while.. maybe after I lose some more weight and diabetes control becomes effortless (if that day ever comes). Maybe I can bake a loaf once a year or something say during the holidays... I can feast for a day, what's a day out of 365 right? :)

Take care y'all and stay healthy.

Jennifer

P.S. I just ate a portabella mushroom for the first time today.. OH MY amazing! Stuffed it with feta, pistachio nuts, broiled (or grilled) with olive oil.. garnished with thinly sliced scallions, Mediterranean style. It was heavenly--the textures and flavors were insane! I am thinking a portabella mushroom stuffed with bbq'd pulled pork butt might be delicious! Good substitute for a hamburger bun? :) Pulled Pork Portabella Slider?

Last edited:
Congrats on getting your health/diabetes under control... BBQ is a natural since added fat, sugar and refined carbs are not needed for great Q.

When my wife was losing 40+ pounds I adjusted my Q from ribs and butts to lean meats like pork loin, chicken, and leaner cuts of beef...Cooking times and methods need to be adjusted accordingly and it still turns out some good smoked meats...

Congrats to you and good luck with your future success...

Congrats to you. I know personally how hard that is to accomplish. I just went through the same thing since January. I was on metformin for my diabetes, blood pressure meds and cholesterol medication. I lost 84 pounds( from 254 to 170) off all meds now. It can be done with having an addiction to bbq. Again congrats to you. Well done!

Awesome news!

We have went through a very similar journey at our house over the past few years.
The refined carbs and sugars can put a hurting on ones health.

We have quit using most all types of BBQ sauces and rubs. In fact we developed a line of cooking salts we just recently released (link in signature) for that very reason.

Good luck in your journey back to good health!

Good for you girl! Keep doing what you gotta do and I think I can say for all us old farkers (excluding you of course) takin care of yourself now will pay huge dividends in your future!

I am also a type 2 diabetic. There are days I REALLY miss heavy carbs, but I feel so much better when I stick with meats and veggies.
Good for you and let's be sure to share some healthy low carb recipes with the forum. I make a mean shredded cauliflower fried "rice"

Great for all you guys. Never give up on the complex carbs. Those veggies are the path to healthy eating for us that have diabetes. Most people get too much protein in their diet each day. Well, do what I say ..... not what I do many times.

I am also a type 2 diabetic. There are days I REALLY miss heavy carbs, but I feel so much better when I stick with meats and veggies.
Good for you and let's be sure to share some healthy low carb recipes with the forum. I make a mean shredded cauliflower fried "rice"

I could really stand to know more about this?

Attagirl Jennifer!
I'm Type II as well and when first diagnosed I pretty much eliminated carbs. I eat a lot of beans, meats, fish (sardines and kipper snacks make great quick lunches), fruits and veggies. (Bananas are bad for me by the way.)
I have lost 50+ lbs and dropped my A1c from 10.1 to 5.6. I'm still taking Metformin but am going to see about getting off of it.
Keep up the good work, and post about your meals. Those of in the same boat can benefit from that.

Congratulations on having the fortitude to change your diet in response to your medical condition. It's great to eliminate any reliance on medication.

My bride to be has been on a no carb diet for a long time, she says they don't agree with her hips. To each their own, I have tried to make her some "main stream" foods pizza with cauliflower acting as the dough and zucchini lasagna, tried to make black bean and garbanzo bean noodles but failed, if u got some tips for noodles I'm all ears.

My bride to be has been on a no carb diet for a long time, she says they don't agree with her hips. To each their own, I have tried to make her some "main stream" foods pizza with cauliflower acting as the dough and zucchini lasagna, tried to make black bean and garbanzo bean noodles but failed, if u got some tips for noodles I'm all ears.

Google zoodles. Basically noodles from zucchini. I never like spaghetti squash, but like zoodles. I only boil them for 2-3 minutes to keep them from getting too mushy.

I did the paleo/whole 30 diet which sounds like what people are describing. Lost 20 pounds on it and felt great, but its a commitment. I'll probably do it again, but you really need the whole family to be on board with it. My love of bread is strong, and it takes me about 2-3 weeks before my cravings for bread subside. BBQ and paleo/whole 30 go great together, but weekly planning is key, if I don't plan ahead, I fall flat on my face diet wise.

Back