THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

We're also planning on arriving mid to late morning also, so we'll be setup by early afternoon at the latest, depending on who we stop to talk to :-D

Try to track us down! We have some short busy periods on Friday but also enough time to socialize.

Just received this e-mail from Tanya:

Good Afternoon! Recently there have been some questions on the prize payout for the Dells BBQ Bash & State BBQ Championship. I wanted to clarify this for everyone. Prior to the 90 day requirement, we submitted a cash & prize breakdown to the KCBS. We also posted it in 5 public spots, as were required by the KCBS. We were not aware of any problems or concerns until May 10th, 10 days prior to our competition. We do have sponsors for our event and they have generously provided us with gift cards in lieu of cash. We did not intend to mislead anyone in our amount of cash & prizes. Our total cash & prize payout was just over $10,000.00. Due to the concern, we have voluntarily decided to change our prize breakdown. This additional money will not be coming from any sponsors, Buffalo Phil’s Grille will be paying this in full. We have decided to withdraw our gift cards, trophies and ribbon dollar amounts out of the prize fund for the KCBS Sanctioned portion of the competition. In the KCBS sanctioned portion of the competition there will be NO gift card distribution. We will be distributing exactly $10,000 in cash for the four categories and the overall awards of the four categories.

If you have any concerns, please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you,

Tanya

Just received this e-mail from Tanya:

Good Afternoon! Recently there have been some questions on the prize payout for the Dells BBQ Bash & State BBQ Championship. I wanted to clarify this for everyone. Prior to the 90 day requirement, we submitted a cash & prize breakdown to the KCBS. We also posted it in 5 public spots, as were required by the KCBS. We were not aware of any problems or concerns until May 10th, 10 days prior to our competition. We do have sponsors for our event and they have generously provided us with gift cards in lieu of cash. We did not intend to mislead anyone in our amount of cash & prizes. Our total cash & prize payout was just over $10,000.00. Due to the concern, we have voluntarily decided to change our prize breakdown. This additional money will not be coming from any sponsors, Buffalo Phil’s Grille will be paying this in full. We have decided to withdraw our gift cards, trophies and ribbon dollar amounts out of the prize fund for the KCBS Sanctioned portion of the competition. In the KCBS sanctioned portion of the competition there will be NO gift card distribution. We will be distributing exactly $10,000 in cash for the four categories and the overall awards of the four categories.

If you have any concerns, please feel free to contact me directly.

Thank you,

Tanya

Interesting....

So much more to say but I'll keep my mouth closed over the fact that they are taking in almost $14,000 in just entrance fees...

Good thing I didn't say that out loud...

• Thanks
Reactions: Coz
Well, just got an email from Tanya regarding a map/layout of the site. Looks like a lucky time for me...

Jeff,

Good Afternoon! Currently you are in spot 13, but this is subject to change. You will be provided with a layout upon arrival.

I am looking forward to meeting you next week.

Thank you,

Tanya

To me it almost sounds like they are taking back even the trophies and ribbons :laugh: Kind of an "if all you people care about is money then that's all you get". :rofl:

Oh, well, hope to be there and meet some great people, I'll most likely be the one wandering around like a lost puppy with one of our sauce shirts on.

To me it almost sounds like they are taking back even the trophies and ribbons :laugh: Kind of an "if all you people care about is money then that's all you get". :rofl:

I don't think that's it. In the breakdown that they posted on their web site late last week they had included the cost of the trophies and ribbons in to total payout amount. That is not typically done. So it sounds like they have taken that cost out of the prize pool amount.

I'm glad that they have decided to change this and am planning on making the most of the competition. i am curious, however, what 5 public places the prize breakdown was posted. I haven't seen anything on any of the major BBQ forums, just on their web site.

Also, Pete, did you request info from the organizers? Is that why you received that e-mail? i haven't received anything e-mails from them over the past couple of days.

Hey Ron, I actually sent her an email questioning the gift cards on Monday. I just assumed that this was a mass email, I may be wrong though.

Definitely wasn't a mass email. I didn't get any explanation from her on the prize breakdown. I agree with Ron, where did they post the breakdown?

I recieved the Email, however I have been emailing her for information on competitors since they filled up so perhaps they just sent to people that have been emailing.

Smoking Addiction BBQ will be there...looking forward to our first competition of the year and the debut of our new trailer. Our Iowa division of the team can't make it...but the team elders will carry on.

Smoking Addiction BBQ
Manitowoc, WI

FEC 100
Large Green Egg
22.5" Weber Performer

Last edited by a moderator:
I will be there to judge or table captain. Hope to be able to meet all of you folks. I think this will be the first contest I have ever been to where they want judges to pay an admission. I received this email from Tanya. The "rest of the festival" is where the stage is located (awards), concessions, etc. Not sure if I want to pay $15 to visit with teams and attend the awards presentation. Any chance any of you might have an extra pass or wrist band or whatever they are doing for admittance for teams? I'd rather buy you an $18 case of beer than pay $15 just for admission.
There is a tent specific for the KCBS judging. You will have access to this tent. The rest of the festival does have an admission fee, if you choose to participate in that.

I will be there to judge or table captain. Hope to be able to meet all of you folks. I think this will be the first contest I have ever been to where they want judges to pay an admission. I received this email from Tanya. The "rest of the festival" is where the stage is located (awards), concessions, etc. Not sure if I want to pay $15 to visit with teams and attend the awards presentation. Any chance any of you might have an extra pass or wrist band or whatever they are doing for admittance for teams? I'd rather buy you an $18 case of beer than pay $15 just for admission.
There is a tent specific for the KCBS judging. You will have access to this tent. The rest of the festival does have an admission fee, if you choose to participate in that.

I haven't seen any info on passes or wristbands for the teams. Has anyone?

I e-mailed this afternoon asking about 3 of our team showing up mid morning and three more who are doing desert and chili early evening.
I asked if all entrances were covered under my entry fee. This is what I got back. Guess we can get into the comp area free but nothing else, unless I am reading this wrong.
! There will be an entrance for all the competitors and their guests to gain entrance to the competition area, there will not be a fee for you or your guests. The festival portion is separate.

Thanks,
Tanya

Wonder how much we have to pay to get to the awards?

My understanding is that awards will be on the main stage and it is in the "pay" area. Tickets are $15 for a weekend pass or $10 for one day. Guess you might need a one day pass to get to awards? I have been following the threads and comments on this contest and so far it is pretty strange. I have been to over 140 comps in many different states and this one really tops them all, so far. (not in a good way) I'm glad I will be in the area for work any way and did not plan a special trip to get to this one. Still looking forward to meeting a lot of Brethren there.

Sounds like there doing just about everything wrong. The teams at MN this weekend were about in revolt over their rules. Looks like it may be a 1 year contest.

wow...the hits just keep coming. Thats $50 for our team (my family) to go to awards, no chance Mike and Theresa Lake will let this happen, right?

Back