THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tip: install deck boards so end grain turns down, otherwise board will warp with edges up.
Been there, done that.

Tip: install deck boards so end grain turns down, otherwise board will warp with edges up.
Been there, done that.

There are good arguments for bark side up and good arguments for bark side down.

I went with bark side down because I would rather have crowning than cupping and because the cedar I'm using shells less than, say, Douglas fir or Southern pine.

Also, since the deck is small and I have the time, I'm adding a third screw every other joist.

Last edited:
RANT WARNING RANT WARNING

I have nothing but sympathy for those poor folks who work at "global materials" foundries seeking a better life for their families. It must beat a rice paddy with a wooden hoe any day (I least I think so). My beef is with the modern global elites that knowingly (and VERY profitably) put bad screws in American big box stores where they lurk on shelves waiting for amateurs like myself to snap them off (yes, I pre-drilled) in $45 boards.

A few oligarchs on their yachts are laughing over their drinks, while slave-labor workers and penny pinching consumers alike have no recourse but to suck it up and suffer under their boot.

RANT OVER

(I saved the board but it wasn't easy.)

We didn't pre-drill those on my deck. Went in pretty easy. But that was several years ago.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Were you using an impact? I've heard of impact drivers causing stress fractures in screws that can results in the heads breaking off.

At least, I saw that possibility on a single thread when I googled it. I use an impact for everything, most useful tool in our house.

Were you using an impact? I've heard of impact drivers causing stress fractures in screws that can results in the heads breaking off.

At least, I saw that possibility on a single thread when I googled it. I use an impact for everything, most useful tool in our house.

I'm using a standard cordless Milwaukee, made in USA in 2002. Last great American-made drill.

All the deck boards are on except for the last one which needs to be ripped first. I thought the only problem today was going to be the broken screw, but my cat proved me wrong. Argyll of Stone Quarry, my normally indoor Scottish Fold, got out, and in the way of a swinging gate . . . and took it right on the nose! A rough way to learn a lesson for sure!

Rain delay. At least it gives me a chance to see what a "natural" finish would look like. Thinking of going darker, but that does look nice. Wait. What am I saying? It's my wife who always picks colors (and changes her mind after I paint)!

Last edited:
Back