THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

coufalj

Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.
Hello everyone. I was hoping for some input to a Yoder YS1500 purchase. I have been in the Market for a pellet grill for about a year and after research I have decided to go with Yoder. With everything I have read it's time to get the check book out.

I initially was looking at the 640 until I stumbled along the 1500. It seems from what I have found it is the closest thing you can get in terms of a pellet grill to a stick burner.

I am looking for a single solution to grilling and smoking. One nice point for the 1500 is the heat management system and the convenience of not having to remove grates to go from low heat to direct grilling.

Do you folks have experience with theb1500 vs the 640? Seems like you have more options with the 1500.... Just trying to justify the cost.

Also. We live in Nebraska and the unit will be placed on a covered wooden deck. Not sure if there would be any difference in the two for Mid western Winter cooking.

Thanks for any and all input.

Jason

I love my YS640. I bought it used, in great condition, for under $1000. Haven't cooked on a 1500, but everything I hear is that they're incredible. I recently bought grill grates for mine and I'm looking forward to trying them out. I've just been really busy.

From what I've read, like you said, the 1500 is pretty much like a wood burner. I'm not into a whole lot of smoke, so that's not a big deal to me. My 640 puts more smoke on meat than my old Louisiana Smokers pellet grill did, and from what I've read, more than many other brands.

A lot of guys will tell you to buy as big as you can afford, but for me, the 640 (two shelves) is more than enough room. A couple of weeks after I bought it, I smoked TEN 9ish pound butts on it. I'll never need more room, personally.

Whatever you decide, congrats on selecting Yoder. They are very well made and I think you'll be happy w/ it.

Well, 71-South beat me to it. I have the 1500 and LOVE it! If you are already interested ni the size and "worth" of the 1500 and can afford it, then most certainly......buy the largest you can afford. And yes, it cooks very closely to a clean-burning stick burner:-D

The 1500's a very cool pellet cooker!! With that said...

1) How many people do you cook for on a regular basis?
2) Do you like to entertain
3) Being this will be your everyday cooker, are you concerned with pellet consumption?
4) Does a YS1500 comfortably fit in the budget?

Just a few ?'s that come to mind as I try to put myself in your shoes?

I love my YS640. Every once in awhile I wish I had to space of the 1500. Far as direct grilling I do have grill grates on my YS640 and it works fine however if I just had to have a dedicated charcoal grill that is still my preference. But for all in one unit it doesn't get much better. They are now making a Cimarron version of their pellet smoker. It's pretty pricey but it sure does give you a lot of yardage to cook on. If I had it in my budget I would probably get a 1500. However I guarantee you I'll keep my 640 for sure.

If it makes any difference, Yoder has a new diffuser plate design for the 640's that makes it easier to sear.

For my money, I'm glad I went with the 640 vs the 1500. The 640 is plenty big for cooking for the family, but I still have the room if I need to cook a case of butts.

Back