THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gig'em99

Knows what a fatty is.
I'm curious what any brethren in the DFW area think about various BBQ eateries. Maybe this topic is out there and if I'm retreading, well I'm new 😜

I want to try and compare as many places as I can in the area. So far I've hit:
Hard 8 - been 3 times, and when they're on their game, it's good. Just been inconsistent IMO.
Lockharts - been a couple times, and all I can say is its not what I remember about eating in Lockhart, TX.
Pecan Lodge - I hit this spot on Friday, and by far, it's the best Q I've eaten at a restaurant. They don't need to put out sauce though. (Not good and not necessary)
The Feed Store - Little dive near Southlake, not bad but not a stand out. I do like their pork BBQ sauce.
Bone Daddy's - I go a lot, but not really for the food 😉

What are your thoughts? Where should I go next??

I used to live there and on the West side of FW near the TCU campus there is a place called Railhead, really good. In downtown FW is Angelos BBQ They have some of the best Brisket around that area.:thumb:

My wife has brought leftovers home from Cooper's that were good enough to put on my list the next time we're over there.

Edit: Our last couple of visits to Railhead have been mediocre or worse. I used to eat at the Colleyville location quite a bit, and liked it.

Yea, I've heard that about Railhead lately as we'll. it has been a while since I've eaten there. I don't get over to the Tarrant side of the fence that often.

I have lived in the DFW area since college, which means 30 years. I have not found any killer BBQ in the DFW area. Nothing like what you can get in the Hill Country.

Hard 8, Lockharts and Coopers in DFW are just replicas of Hill country BBQ joints, and I have not tried them, so I can not judge them.

North main BBQ in Euless always gets good reviews, but honestly, the one time I ate there didn't blow a lot of wind up my shorts.

If I could cook killer BBQ, quite honestly, I wouldn't open a restaurant in Dallas. People here eat crap, just so they don't have to cook. What does mom make for dinner in Dallas? Reservations.

Living in Richardson, get a COSTCO membership and get to know the fine folks at Hirsch's Meat Market. Fark the restaurants, cook your own que.

Continue to go to Bone Daddy's from time to time for the scenery. :becky:

CD

I hear you CD. But I need something to do during my lunch hour ;).

Generally I agree with you, about the overall Dallas mindset. However, I was so surprised by Pecan Lodge, that I'd recommend it to anyone. That place does a beef rib and makes their own sausage, a first for me up in this area. And I watched a co-worker eat that rib with a plastic fork.

Everything I've tried so far has been very commercial, except PL. I'd classify it more of a boutique style.

Anyway, when I decide to "retire," I'll open up my own place and fix the problem up here. But I need to know what I'm up against!

Working 1 mile from Hard Eight in Coppell, we go there frequently enough that I can tell you it's much improved from the time they opened. More fun than great. Pecan Lodge gets my vote for the best, but the lines are ridiculous. Either Angelo's is over-rated or I've been unlucky there. Railhead is a nice spot to kill a weekend afternoon, but the Q is ok.

CaseyDog is right. We just need to organize a Progressive DFW BBQ dinner.

Meshacks in Garland.

Righteous stuff there. But it's strictly take away. Cash only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Not exactly barbecue, but if you like steak, get to Hoffbrau Steaks on N. Market St downtown Dallas & get yourself the Smoked Sirloin. WOW!!!!

North main BBQ in Euless always gets good reviews, but honestly, the one time I ate there didn't blow a lot of wind up my shorts.

I love North Main. I was fortunate enough to be there when a butt had just been pulled, and I got the money muscle....:icon_smile_tongue:

Sometimes the quality is good, and sometimes it's not so good....but you can't beat the price....I think it was better when C.J. was alive, no offense to his son.....

No, I'm not from Texas, but I get around....If I'm on the road, I'm looking for Q.

Last edited:
I just don't eat BBQ that often when I'm out, but had some brisket today that was very good from Red Barn BBQ in Colleyville. I tried it a couple of times after they opened and just wasn't impressed. After hearing that it had improved I gave it another chance and it's been anywhere from good at the low end to VERY GOOD on others. Intersection of Hwy. 26(Grapevine Hwy.) and Glade Road.

I'll toss in something else. For those of you in the metroplex that remember the recent fire in Haltom City that took multiple lives....the owner donated a days sales to the family for funeral expenses. If memory serves it was $8,500. Classy gesture. I'll keep stopping in now and then to support a local business that can AND will give something back.

there is a new bbq place west of downtown dallas on singelton just past the new margret hunt bridge its called babb bros. set up like rudys ,meat and bread id give them a 8 good bbq had ribs and sausage both were good

Went to Babb Bros. BBQ weeks ago. I thought the ribs and sausage we really good as well. The brisket was tender but no smoke flavor and very cold. Very good sides and tea. My wife had the pulled pork...:sad:.

My view of BBQ joints in my old stomping grounds (DFW) is similar to my Rudy's (or any other chain) theory. "You know what your gonna get and while it may not be bad, it ain't going to be great either"

Not sure why DFW doesn't have any knock your socks off good BBQ joints. I never knew how much BBQ sucked in DFW until I moved to the Hill Country.

Meshacks in Garland.

Righteous stuff there. But it's strictly take away. Cash only.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I went to Meshacks this weekend, after reading some reviews. It's about 15 minutes from my place in Richardson. I must say, I was impressed. I tried everything.

The sausage is from Smokey Denmarks in Austin, and if you haven't had it, you're missing out. (When I lived in Austin, it was the only place I took my deer and pigs to be processed)

The ribs were spot on. Pork spare ribs, very tender, and a nice pecan smoke.

Their chopped brisket was very good, best I've had in the DFW metroplex, and I attribute that to his sauce. The chopped is mixed with his regular bbq sauce, but his spicy sauce is fantastic.

I was somewhat disappointed in the brisket though. It was just a little underdone. The flavor was there, it was just suffering from missing another hour on the pit I think. Or, it could have been that I tried it last, and was so pleased with everything else that it just didn't hit.

The place is litterally a shack though. No table, you eat at or in your car. They do take c-cards now though. But I enjoyed standing in line, chatting with folks from the area, many of whom Jasper (owner) knew by name. Just a great little neighborhood joint. One worth a bit of a drive, if you're looking for some good Q in DFW.

Brian

Back