gtr's Slightly Ridiculous BBQ Weekend in the Austin Area - long and pron heavy

gtr

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
I went to Austin this last weekend to visit my little sister and eat a chitload of BBQ. We hit 8 joints in 3 days and had a huge time - and huge bellies by the end of it.

We started Friday at 8 am in line at Franklin's. We were about 35 folks back.

Brother Gore came and joined us - it was so cool that it worked out to meet him and we had a great time. This is Brethren you want to hit a BBQ joint with fo sho.

Not sure what time this was, but the line was wrapping around the block.

photo-83.jpg

The meat cutter getting it done.

photo-84.jpg

photo-81.jpg

We got brisket, turkey and sausage.

photo-80.jpg

Gore got brisket and pork ribs. I saw that Gore found the sausage to be fatty and he's right - the difference is he wasn't into it and I was - more for me! :whoo:

The brisket blew my farking mind. It hit all the parameters - taste, tenderness, smoke, flavor, bark - all that came together in a way I have never experienced. I would wait in line for this stuff again - and, to be clear, part of the thing with waiting in line is knowing what you're getting into. I had a nice time catching up with my sis, chatting with Gore, and talking with the folks around us. Not something I would do often, but would definitely do again.

The pits at Franklin's.

photo-85.jpg

photo-86.jpg

We moseyed on over to John Mueller Meat Co. and they were sold out - this was at around 1pm. Gore went there Wed when they were closed.

IMG_2543.jpg

Gore - it was great to meat you and I hope we can do something like this again.

Later that evening we went to Elgin. First we hit Southside Market.

We got different plates and all picked off of each other.Their brisket was pretty dang good but I was really there for the sausage, which was excellent. The beans were phenomenal as well.

IMG_2544.jpg

We had another plate of food but I can't find the pic of it - it was pork ribs and something else. I was surprised at how good the pork ribs were at all these places we went to - I normally associate TX with beef, but they got the pork ribs going on as well.

Anyway, we went to Meyer's after that. The chicken here was incredible and the sausage was great as well.

IMG_2545.jpg

Very good pork ribs and mac n cheese.

IMG_2546.jpg

Saturday we went to Lockhart. We started at Smitty's.

IMG_2556.jpg

IMG_2550.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

All of the food was really dang good! Great atmosphere as well. Everybody who worked here, and everywhere we went for that matter, was really friendly. Seems to be the norm at BBQ places everywhere and I really like that.

IMG_2549.jpg

Walking away from Smitty's.

IMG_2570.jpg

Next we hit Black's. My favorite was the beef rib and the cobbler. Excellent, excellent stuff. I actually didn't like their brisket as much as Smitty's and Kruez. I'm guessing you get varying quality by the day or even by the piece of meat at these places, so at any given moment it might be possible for one to be better than the others. It was still very good brisket albeit a little dry.

IMG_2555.jpg

IMG_2554.jpg

After Black's we went to Kruez. It feels like entering a sanctuary when coming in to order.

IMG_2553.jpg

The brisket and the sausage were great, but I need to talk about the pork chop. I have never eaten anything like this - they're cooked as a whole roast and sliced off. By far the most tender, delicious and juicy pork chop I have ever had - period. One of the best kind of anything I've ever eaten. A couple bites around the edge let me know that a great deal of salt was used in the process. Also got the shoulder clod which I have always been very curious about. I loved it - kinda like a very tender roast i.e. it's sliced. Now I know what to shoot for when cooking one of these things.

IMG_2551.jpg

The sausage was great - I bought a bunch of uncooked to take home.

For dinner we met some family at Salt Lick. Fun place!

Goofing by their pit.

photo-95.jpg

One of their Oylers.

IMG_2565.jpg

Their beef ribs are back ribs.

photo-88.jpg

It's probably not fair to talk about their food after going to the places in Lockhart. I'll say that I would go there again if it involves a group of folks and we're out to have fun. It's worth noting that this place is overrun by beautiful TX gals, who are among the best you can find anywhere. I lived in Austin in the 80's and my research conducted at that time indicated that they are absolutely delicious.

Sunday. John Mueller Meat Company. This may have been my overall favorite - the food is completely amazing and the atmosphere is a good as it gets. It feels like a party. John is working the crowd and getting people, myself included, to help slice the brisket. Here's from inside the serving trailer.

photo-93.jpg

IMG_2584.jpg

Fire door open.

IMG_2583.jpg

Incredible sausage and brisket. His sauce is more like a soup, and it is amazing. I was drinking it straight by the end of the meal.

photo-90.jpg

Here are his beef and pork ribs - fanfarkingtastic. Also the best beans of the weekend and a squash dish that was also fanfarkingtastic - yes, squash. The rubs were fantastic - very large grain pepper, a nice heavy crust on everything. I farking loved every bite as did everybody who was with us.

photo-91.jpg

I wish I had taken a shot of the whole place (and the other whole places too :tsk:) It's a dirt lot with a couple trailers, a couple tents, some picnic tables, and speakers hung up in trees playing outlaw country music. I can't think of a better way to spend the morning. If you get there 1/2 hour before opening you should be good. Once the line starts, it never gets any shorter. I can imagine John Mueller will get to a point where he will need to move to a bigger spot, so anybody who can hit this place now should. Just fantastic.

photo-96.jpg

photo-97.jpg

I brought home some sausage. SoCal farkers will be eating this at the next bash - what's left of it anyway.

photo-89.jpg

It was a phenomenal weekend. I hope to get back before too long and check out some other spots like Snow's, Taylor Cafe, etc. I have to mention that "The Prophets of Smoked Meat" by Daniel Vaughn was a great resource for this trip as well as a couple of friends who are local and work around the area and are into checking out BBQ spots.

I would say anybody who is a fan of smoked meat should check this out if they can. These people are basically wizards IMO. It's also worth noting that the people who cook and serve this stuff are all working very hard - it's hot, sweaty, and dirty work. Bless them all for what they do.

It was really nice to visit Austin again, overrun as it may be. I have many fond memories (or lack thereof) from there and this really was a great weekend to go back.

Thanks for looking!

Looks like an awesome time. I'm super jealous of that sausage haul. I gotta get back out there and try some of these places.

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
I was waiting for this! Dang, I can't believe I went to Mueller's twice and came away empty both times! Definitely have to catch it next time! It was great meating you too!

Funny how your experience at Lockhart was almost the opposite of ours. Sounds like I'll have to go back and take some more samples.

• Thanks
Man, that score on sausage, that is where real Texas BBQ is at. What a great trip, that is how I imagined my first trip to Texas could be, if only I had traveled alone. Great coverage.

• Thanks
I was waiting for this! Dang, I can't believe I went to Mueller's twice and came away empty both times! Definitely have to catch it next time! It was great meating you too!

Funny how your experience at Lockhart was almost the opposite of ours. Sounds like I'll have to go back and take some more samples.

More research in Lockhart is always necessary. :thumb:

I am glad you enjoyed your visit. Please take all the CA folk back with you however.... :)

You can keep 'em. There are more than enough here. :twisted:

Great reportage Greg!! What an amazing Q adventure!! I appreciate the info on all of these places. Hope to head that way myself sometime.
Thanks!! :cool:

• Thanks
Looks like a really good time. I'm sorry that both you and Gore missed the best place in TX - a humble little place in San Antonio. Maybe next time! :)

What a wonderful trip and a great report! Thanks for sharing!
Makes me really want to move my Q-trip to Austin closer to the top of my priority list!

• Thanks
Awesome!!!! Thanks so much my friend :thumb:

Makes me really want to take a vaca soon............but it ain't gonna happen.

• Thanks
Looks like a really good time. I'm sorry that both you and Gore missed the best place in TX - a humble little place in San Antonio. Maybe next time! :)

This trip made me realized I haven't been there in far, far too long and I really need to make the effort to get out that way more often. When I do make it back out that way I definitely wanna give you a holler. I'll show up on yer doorstep with a couple clamshells of salty, peppery, smoked goodness for ya. I don't know when I can get back out there, but I will.

Dang dude! That is an inordinate amount of meat you stuffed into your face for sure!

You want me to send the XL shirts back? :-D

I've been looking forward to this post, you did not disappoint me. That was a fine report. My jealousy is tipping the scales over here.

You Cali farkers have all the fun even when you're not in California!

• Thanks
Back