Critique my brisket cook plan please.

Happy Hapgood

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
Mike
I have a 12# Choice packer that I have no choice but to cook on Saturday and served Sunday afternoon. Will be smoking it with oak and hickory chunks using KBB on my 18.5 WSM. Going to use some k-salt along with Oakridge BBQ Black Ops Brisket Rub. Want to go low and slow with this one.

1. Have brisket prepped and coals lit by 8 AM Saturday.
2. Cold brisket on smoker around 8:30AM.
3. Smoke brisket fat side down until it hits the stall.
4. Wrap in foil and start checking for probe tender when thickest part of flat reaches 175*F.
5. Once done, pull and drain juices from foil and allow brisket to cool to 150*F IT.
6. Wrap in foil and a towel to rest another hour.
7. Refrigerate overnight.
8. Sunday around noon, add some brisket juice and place whole in oven at 200*F.
9. Slice around 4PM to be served.

Is my end game OK? What about the rest of the cook?
Any and all input appreciated. :thumb:

You should be okay, not sure I would stop the cook at 175°F, that is not out of the stall, and thus, your timing on the end is unpredictable. Of course, you can reheat and vary the heat to deal with that.

I prefer to cook until the meat is done, if I am going to hold it, then once the meat is probe tender, I let it sit, on a rack, uncovered for 30 minutes to bleed off the heat and set the bark, then crash cool it (turkey bag, ice bath) and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Reheat, since the meat is done, can be done about 2 hours ahead, even 3 hours, since it will be cold. At that point, 250°F, until 165°F internal, let rest for 30 minutes and slice.

I meant start checking for probe tender at 175. Guess I do not have to start checking till maybe 185? I do not want to over shoot the done just right zone. I'm guessing it could reach 195 or even 200 before it's ready.

I have a 12# Choice packer that I have no choice but to cook on Saturday and served Sunday afternoon. Will be smoking it with oak and hickory chunks using KBB on my 18.5 WSM. Going to use some k-salt along with Oakridge BBQ Black Ops Brisket Rub. Want to go low and slow with this one.

1. Have brisket prepped and coals lit by 8 AM Saturday.
2. Cold brisket on smoker around 8:30AM.
3. Smoke brisket fat side down until it hits the stall.
4. Wrap in foil and start checking for probe tender when thickest part of flat reaches 175*F.
5. Once done, pull and drain juices from foil and allow brisket to cool to 150*F IT.
6. Wrap in foil and a towel to rest another hour.
7. Refrigerate overnight.
8. Sunday around noon, add some brisket juice and place whole in oven at 200*F.
9. Slice around 4PM to be served.

Is my end game OK? What about the rest of the cook?
Any and all input appreciated. :thumb:

Critique?

Okay.

You asked for it.

That plan is crap!

You'll sleep in and wake up hungover and smelling of toad, stumble into the kitchen and rush the trimming cutting off too much fat.
You'll cuss to much because of your frustration from the stoopin A.R dangling from your drooping shoulder clattering against the bench as you scope your dripline alla time.
You'll foil, and you'll drink.
You'll get to the cooker and not remember which side has the fat, and plonk it on the wrong way.
You'll crack another Blues Ribbon and set your electrical crutch gadget wrong.
By the time you probe, your attention will be limp.
You won't be able to tell which side of the flat is thickest, and you'll wish you had a whole bowl of spicy frog legs to eat instead.
You'll cuss, sweep with one pale leg and clear a bunch of Blue Ribbon cans away from your feet.
You won't flip the brisket because it isn't in your plan...which is crap.
You'll say my name in vain as you realize I was right ...again.
The A.R will slip from its barrel tip resting on the cooker and fall, firing of a burst.
It will kill your neighbours Ford Pinto.
You'll leap up alarmed and certain it was the Feds firing from down the street and you'll run inside the house with that lurching drunken lope and shout to your wife
"Luzziainn, The Feds 'r a comin, fetch my .50 calibre!"
Later, your neighbor and your family will get you settled down and you'll scrounge up fitty dola to compensate him for his dead car.
Meanwhile, the brisket will be approaching Shane level, but that's fine because there are still a dozen Blue Ribbons left in the cooler, and LuzziAin has made you up some Frog legs in buffalo wing sauce and got your favourite bib out.
Life is good.
Sunday, around noon, you'll borrow a plasma cutter to slice your brisket.

HOWZAT? :becky:

Well I did ask for it. Your close to right. Especially about the beer drinking part. I can't remember the last time I BBQ'ed without one. And how did you know I have a 50 cal. ? :becky:

Well I did ask for it. Your close to right. Especially about the beer drinking part. I can't remember the last time I BBQ'ed without one. And how did you know I have a 50 cal. ? :becky:

LuzziAin showed me...

You should be okay, not sure I would stop the cook at 175°F, that is not out of the stall, and thus, your timing on the end is unpredictable. Of course, you can reheat and vary the heat to deal with that.

I prefer to cook until the meat is done, if I am going to hold it, then once the meat is probe tender, I let it sit, on a rack, uncovered for 30 minutes to bleed off the heat and set the bark, then crash cool it (turkey bag, ice bath) and wrap tightly in plastic wrap. Reheat, since the meat is done, can be done about 2 hours ahead, even 3 hours, since it will be cold. At that point, 250°F, until 165°F internal, let rest for 30 minutes and slice.

I really like that end game. Especially the part about crash cooling it. Does that help it retain moisture?

It helps get done with the cook.

I like to crash cool meats, if I am not going to eat them right away. A large hunk of unsliced meat takes a long time to cool. I can't make any claims about moisture or texture, except that I have never noticed a difference. But, it sure shortens the time things are sitting around. I temp the inside to make sure it is cold. Like 40° and below cold. If you wrap a cold chunk of meat, I think, note think not know, that the meat surface stays in better shape, there is no condensation in the storage wrap.

That wiil work or you could run at 300-325 have it on by 0700 on Easter morn. and be done about noonish. Let it rest to 150 on the counter until around 1400 and hold it in a low oven till dinner

That wiil work or you could run at 300-325 have it on by 0700 on Easter morn. and be done about noonish. Let it rest to 150 on the counter until around 1400 and hold it in a low oven till dinner

I am going to try that HH gig at some point. I've got some obligations that will prevent me from doing that Morning. Heck, this will be my first time foiling a brisket. Want to try butcher paper next then High
Heat.

Thanks! :thumb:

Revised end game plan.

Take brisket off and let rest till approx. 150* IT. Wrap in foil and chunk it in freezer until IT 40*. Place in fridge overnight. Place in oven next day @250* until brisket is 165* IT. Pull, rest for 30 mins and slice.

You can get a 12 pounder on the 18 WSM?

I can get a 16 pounder on an 18 WSM, I'll post acouple of pics. BRB

4tvswo.jpg

Looking for another pic BRB.

A 16 pounder. Same SS bowl, just can't see it.

11943o6.jpg

Back